• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal retreatment

S

sagittariusgirl89

So I got a root canal retreated on my front tooth on april 21. It felt fine after the soreness went away and then it started to throb sometimes and ache. I went back to the Endo on Friday and she did a 3D X-ray to make sure there was no fracture. There wasn’t. She said even tho it didn’t show a fracture it doesn’t mean there isn’t one. It could just be so small.
She suggested I go back tomorrow and they will put antibiotic directly in my canal that will last 4 weeks. She said if the pain still is there after that I might need the tooth pulled.
Idk if I should wait a little bit before I have them mess with it again. It doesn’t hurt constantly and it didn’t hurt at all yesterday. Plus I have a small fracture on my crown and I’m afraid if she started to drill it will break.
I’m considering rescheduling the appt to next Thursday since I already have time off work. My bf and I were going to hang out today and I just don’t want to stress out

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
What is it you want to know? I can't see a question there, even with my reading glasses on :)

S

sagittariusgirl89

What is it you want to know? I can't see a question there, even with my reading glasses on :)
I guess just an opinion of would it be normal to feel any type of pain 3 weeks after a root canal retreatment? And is it smart for them to put antibiotic in the canal or leave it alone and see what happens?

drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Hi sagittariusgirl89,
Root canals can be a little unpredictable and you can get pain this long after one on occasions. I don't see any harm in rescheduling your appointment as you suggested.

Hope it all settles down

Lincoln