• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal still sensitive to heat only

J

Julie123

Hi, so glad I have found this forum. I have found it very helpful reading other people’s stories and the advice offered.

I have had quite a lot of work done to my teeth recently. Removing old amalgam fillings and changing them to white ones. This has resulted in needing 3 root canals. They have all been completed and took a very long time to settle down (months in fact) This has caused me lots of anxiety and worry.

One of my top molars that had the root canal and has a temporary crown has taken the longest to settle. It is much better than it was. Although it has had a temporary crown on it for about 5 or 6 months. Most of the time now it doesn’t cause me too much pain. I do notice sometimes it is sore after eating. I do feel that maybe the temporary crown is a little high. I have also noticed that it is sore after eating something hot or a hot drink. It’s not agony but uncomfortable and tends to go away 10, 15 mins later so I don’t need to take painkillers. It is not sensitive to cold at all.

The endodontist who treated the tooth was very thorough. The tooth has been cleaned out a few times before the root canal was completed. She told me she could not see any sign of a crack and that the root canal looked perfect. She did say that sometimes it can take a long time for root canals to settle down as she has had patients who took a year for this to happen.

The tooth is also sensitive to pressure if I tap on it. It is not painful just sensitive.

I am booked in to get the final crown on in a weeks time. I feel I have nothing to loose as I have already payed for the crown up front. I feel it’s best to put it on in the hope that this will eventually settle. It cost just under a thousand pounds. So can’t bring myself to not even try fitting it. I have spent a small fortune on the recent dentistry. I am so worried that this won’t settle and I will need further treatment that is out with my budget. This causes me such worry and anxiety.

If the tooth has a crack that can’t be seen. Will putting on the permanent crown fix this? I also wear a night guard every night as I clench and grind my teeth. This has certainly made things a lot better. Could heat sensitivity be caused by a bruised ligament for clenching?

Thank you to anyone taking the time to read this. Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks ?

It's quite likely that the high temp crown is causing at least some of your symptoms, so I'd be hopeful that the permanent crown would help.
If there's a crack then the permanent crown might help or might not, sorry!

Thank you for your reply Gordon. I did go back to have the permanent crown put on. My teeth seemed to have shifted and it wasn’t a good fit. It has been a long time since it was made. I have to go back in a few weeks time to get a new permanent crown.
The fitting of the new temporary seems to have set everything off again. Been in lots of pain today. Will just wait and see how things go. May give in and have it removed if it doesn’t get less painful.
Thanks again. ?

Back