• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal temporary filling fell out

T

toothyone

Going to the dentist really stresses me out and I've had quite a few occasions where the anaesthetic hasn't worked quickly enough or has worn off before the treatment was finished.
I had an infected tooth a few months back and had no choice but to go the dentist. I had the root taken out and a few months later had a full root canal treatment with a temporary filling in it. The plan was to have a crown, but it's not easy for me to find time to go to the dentist as I have commitments and work full time. I was going to have the crown fitting but my appointment was cancelled and I haven't rearranged yet.

My temporary filling fell out around 3 months ago and dentist reception is said that it was ok to just keep clean until I made an appointment. It doesn't hurt now but I am starting to get a dull ache in my gum and I'm not sure whether I need to try and make an appointment soon. There is still some sort of filling in there though so not sure whether it matters or not. Really don't want to have to have anything except a filling, the thought of a crown seems quite excessive as it's just the inside of my tooth that's gone, the outside seems fine.

Does anyone know whether it matters if I leave it a bit longer as I do have part of the filling left?

Hi!
I don't want to scare you with my reply...I am just repeating what my dentist and hygienist told me when I was contemplating NOT doing the crown after having a root canal for the same reasons as you.

They told me what can happen and frequently does is the tooth can crack without a crown because once a tooth has had a root canal it becomes more brittle than before and can crack easily hence the frequent need for crowns. On occasion a tooth can crack to the point it cannot be repaired and needs to be extracted. Also, when the temporary filling comes out or chips it can let little bits of bacteria seep back into the tooth and reinfect the tooth creating a need to repeat the root canal.

I hope this makes sense to you. I know going in and getting the crown is no small thing and not what you want to do, however, it may be the easiest option in the long run as I'm sure you don't want to repeat the root canal or lose the tooth to a crack after already going through so much to save it.

Good luck to you!

Temporary fillings when lost allow for bacterial contamination of the root canal system which can cause failure.

Thanks mugz, that does make sense. No point in having the root canal and filling and risking it breaking!

Thanks for clarifying comfortdental.

Looks like it's time to make that appointment and hope that the root canal doesn't need to be redone.

Back