• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Root canal tenderness continues

S

Sarah77

Hello all! I had a root canal on my upper cuspid in June. The tooth was not infected but inflamed. It was sensitive to pressure (not biting but touch). No sensitivity to cold either. Here we are, seven months out, and the tooth is still — sometimes pretty tender and sometimes not bad at all — achy to touch. The tooth next to it — a “virgin” tooth is sometimes tender as well. There is also an achy feeling up in my cheek area and ear that is fairly persistent although I don’t know if these are connected. I have had my bite adjusted numerous times. I know I’m not a clencher at night because, as attractive as it sounds, I am a mouth breather. However, I am constantly “testing” the tooth by pushing on it— praying for no pain.

I have been to an ENT and there are no sinus related issues.
My Endodontist did a 3D scan today and said the tooth looks good. No obvious cracks or fractures and no infection. He mentioned that there is an overfill and this could be causing ligament inflammation. Is this possible to still be bothering me seven months out? He mentioned doing an apicoectomy next week to remove the excess root canal filling but I am terrified this will only make things worse.

And... is it possible that some people just don’t have successful root canals EVER? My last one on the same side ended in an implant.

Any thoughts? I DO think it is getting a bit better — but not day by day. More like month by month.

Day in and day out for seven months of worrying has me at the end of my rope. Help!

Last edited:
S

Sarah77

Let me give you the long back story. In 2019 i had my first ever root canal on one of my upper teeth — #14 i think. It continued to hurt (only ever to pressure she never to cold) even after a second root canal and they finally put in an implant. It has been fine ever since. Fast forward to February 2020 and the tooth next to it started hurting in much the same way. Root canal, retreated, and apico. Took almost six months and it finally is pain free. Then June of 2020 the next two teeth started hurting —same way. They root canaled those (Virgin teeth!) and the one next to my front tooth is still sensitive to pressure (touch) — not bite, hot, or cold. Seven months later. I could just cry. I have a general ache all over the left side of my upper mouth.

S

Sarah77

Could this possibly be atypical odontalgia?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Could be. It's a bit odd that you've had multiple root canals on virgin teeth, especially for a non-clencher/grinder.

S

Sarah77

This whole thing is odd! The Virgin tooth has only had the one root canal and has settled. It’s the one next to it that he wants to apico to remove the excess gutta percha. That’s the one that’s never calmed down. My poor mouth. And all of this in less than two years.