• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Root canal tomorrow oral sedation

J

Jojo123

I have severe dental phobia and have had IV sedation in the NHS for all dental work since I was 25. I am now 45 and last had a filling 8 years ago.

I had the most horrendous dental pain 3 weeks ago. I attended a private dentist (the only one I could get into) and was advised I need 2 root canals and prescribed antibiotics which settled the pain.

I have explained my phobia. They have given me 2 doses of 20mg temazepam to take tonight and an hour before the appt.

I don’t know if I’ll even be able to sit in the chair tomorrow. I don’t know if oral sedation will be enough.

does anyone have any experience of this. I’m a mess today.

M

MountainMama

I hope someone was able to ease your mind. I just saw your post and don’t know if you already had your appointment yet. I had oral sedation once but it was a different one than the one you had. I had it for a tooth extraction. It made me feel a little sleepy and just relaxed. It did take away some of the anxiety and allowed the local anesthetic to work better.

J

Jojo123

Thank you both

it went ok. Only 45 minutes and although I cried I managed to do it.

M

MountainMama

Thank you both

it went ok. Only 45 minutes and although I cried I managed to do it.
I am glad it went well! I have cried through several appointments so I understand. The important thing is that you finished it!