• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal tomorrow

I

Islandersgirl74

So nervous about this. I’m getting two root canals done tomorrow. Should take An hour and a half. Will probably feel like hours. This is only the start of the work I need.

So nervous about this. I’m getting two root canals done tomorrow. Should take An hour and a half. Will probably feel like hours. This is only the start of the work I need.

I want to wish you luck for tomorrow! I’ve had a couple of root canals done before and I was really scared for the first one because I thought it would be painful. It wasn’t. It’s no worse than having a cavity filled really, and doesn’t take much longer. Just don’t be shy to ask for more Local if you need it...I tend to need a bit more than what is typical and I didn’t want to be a pain by asking for it, but I learned to speak up!
There is one tip that I have which may help if you’re sensitive to noises associated with dental work. Bring some earbuds with you and listen to music or a program so you can just zone out after you’re all numb and the dentist is working. You won’t feel anything or know what’s happening and you might even relax enough to doze out. I’ve heard of people doing that, though I’m usually too anxious to do that.
Tomorrow I have a check up appointment so I’ll be thinking of you too and wondering how you’re doing! Keep us posted, you’ve got this!

Thank you so much. I’ll be thinking of you too. So glad I found this site

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Having been through many root canals myself, I can assure you that it's way lees traumatic than it sounds.

As a fellow phobic, I know that's probably not much assurance. The amount of anxiety we bring to the chair can make everything ten times more traumatic. But, be aware that the procedure itself is way less awful than the name implies, and that a once horrible phobic like me made it through and felt about 1000 times better walking out of the dentist's office than I ever thought possible.

Let us know how you get on, and I'll keep an eye out for you tomorrow to see how you did. Feel free to PM if you need a little xtra virtual hand-holding in the hours leading up to your appointment.

I'm so proud of you for your courage, I know you'll do great!:friends::friends::friends:

Thank you so much! Just want tomorrow over with