• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal tomorrow:(

C

Carlyja

Hi all, been browsing this site without registering for a very long time, I’ve just registered as I’d love reassurance. Tomorrow at 2.30pm I’m booked in for rct on one of my molars, what I’m more scared of is the needle, I hate pain :( that’s what scares me , also that rubber dam it looks like you can’t breathe through your mouth with it in in pictures.
I am just scared of the whole thing and also worried I will be in more agony afterwards, thanks for listening to me x

Hi all, been browsing this site without registering for a very long time, I’ve just registered as I’d love reassurance. Tomorrow at 2.30pm I’m booked in for rct on one of my molars, what I’m more scared of is the needle, I hate pain :( that’s what scares me , also that rubber dam it looks like you can’t breathe through your mouth with it in in pictures.
I am just scared of the whole thing and also worried I will be in more agony afterwards, thanks for listening to me x

Hi first off welcome and well done for registering. I was in the same boat I browsed this place for a really long time before becoming a member. I can't say much about rct I haven't had that done but I can sympathise with your worry as I am also worried about my treatment on Thursday ( scale and polish and filling) I also need two teeth extracted at some point. All I can say is your going to be okay! Take your time tell your dentist when you need a break as they will give you one. We are all here for the same reason we all have something that makes us worried or scared about the dentist ... most of the time it goes a lot better than we think it's going to. Everyone's here to support you and I 100% believe that you can do this and come out the other end really proud of doing so ... keep us posted and good luck!

Within the last month I treated both a needle phobic and someone who is moderately claustrophobic. Bot patients left happy and were able to be relaxed. Here is one p[atient's review
"For years I have had high anxiety when it was time to go to the dentist. It was from a combination of having
claustrophobia and several bad dental experiences as a child. Finally, a friend recommended
Dr. Raymond Kimsey. I made an appointment because I was having tooth pain which resulted in needing a Root Canal. Oh boy!
Dr. Kimsey calmly discussed with me my concerns. He explained
many ways to help calm my nerves, and even showed me
what I needed done to stop the tooth pain. During the procedure, Dr. Kimsey
created ways to help elleviate my claustrophobia and kept talking and reassuring me. And, before I knew it- he said all done! I was pleasantly shocked! He is an excellent skilled surgeon, super fast and very engaged on the patients welfare. I definitely recommend Dr. Kimsey"

My point is that if your dentist is aware of your worried then the dentist and staff should accommodate your needs.
Good luck.

Last year I had four root canals because I wrecked my teeth by clenching and grinding in my sleep. Mine were all molars, two upper and two lower. I am not especially afraid of the dentist, but I am phobic about needles, so I completely understand your anxiety. I do find the injections painful, but the alternative of having the procedure without being numb is worse. My dentist has the nurse hold my hand during the shots, and I also bring a stuffed toy I can squeeze or fiddle with. The treatment shouldn’t hurt once you are numb, and if it does, they can give you more anaesthetic - I had one canal that was so inflamed it wouldn’t numb, so the dentist put anaesthetic directly into it. The process is long, and boring, but the worst bit will probably be keeping your mouth open for such a long time. The rubber dam feels weird, but you will be able to breathe fine, and it helps make sure no chemicals go down your throat as well as keeping your tooth dry.

Good luck! Make sure you have a little treat planned for later in the day as a reward for being brave.

Hi all thank you for your reply’s, not long now until I have to go, I just hope I’m not in pain when the numbing wears off, I’m still bricking it :(

Good luck!! I’ve had 4 root canals and have generally not had pain after - sometimes al title aching, but nothing that couldn’t be easily managed with ibuprofen.

Hi all just been to my appointment, didn’t end up having it done as they didn’t book a long enough appointment for me, however they just taken some up to date X-rays and I did need 7 fillings 2 extractions and a root canal, and now the teeth that needed filling have all healed so don’t need fillings, I had a tooth that the crown broken off which needed root removing well my body has removed the root on it’s own and it’s fully healed and I needed an extraction on another molar which now just needs a simple filling ! So all I need is 1 filling and 1 root canal, even the dentist was gobsmacked and so am I, I must be doing something right , so the plan is next appointment he’s doing the filling to gain his confidence on 5th Oct then after that book in for the root canal I should of had today, then have a clean and my teeth will be perfect, couldn’t be happier, does anyone have any ideas how or why my teeth have self healed ?

well done for going to your appointment even though you were so nervous!! Thats wonderful news that many of your teeth have healed. If you figure out the secret, please share!! Have you changed your diet recently?

Thats a great idea to start with a filling and work your way up to a root canal. I'd love to hear how your filling goes on the 5th so make sure you update!

Hi all just to update , I’ve had the filling today and my dentist was so nice and I didn’t even feel the injections at all, it’s quite a huge amalgam filling I’ve had, currently very numb and after the injections my fears went so my fears was definitely the injections, I’m so proud of myself 20 years with no dental work and I did it today, now just to have the root canal and I’m sorted then I just need a clean/polish and then just routine check ups, I’m so happy with myself will update when I have the root canal

:jump::jump: Great job.. sounds like a great appt. and its lovely to build some good momentum !