• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal tooth hurting x-ray pic included

A

Acheygirl

Hi Doctor!

As always I ask this with much gratitude for all you do here. Thank you!
I had this bottom #19 tooth root canaled a little over a year ago. It hurts to floss on the front side of the tooth and I get random aching that has started to amp up over the past few days. I can chew on it but it hurts to tap the sides and when floss is pulled out it hurts. If I tap the tooth or mess with it, I get an achy feeling. I also noticed my lymph node under my ear on that side is swollen.

I saw my dentist today and he took this x-ray and referred me back to the endo. He mentioned something about inflammation. Does anything on this scan look off? what does inflammation look like? He said the tooth had 4 roots. He said the 2d scan might give a false image making it appear the gutta percha not fully going down the root so I was not sure if the scan was accurate regarding if the material went down far enough.

Thanks so much for your time.

X60640156.JPG

Last edited:
The root filling looks short on the rear root, it also looks like a shadow around the root filling, so there's probably another canal in there that the Endo hasn't found. Inflammation looks like a shadow around the tip of the root which could be a bit present around the rear root.

Thank you Dr. Gordon. I see the Endo Nov 1st. My dentist did say I have an anomaly on this molar I thought he said it had 3, maybe even 4 roots which I understand is rare? Thank you so much for your insight. I saw an orofacial pain doc earlier this year and he chalked it up to Atypical pain.

Sorry if I could just pick your brain one last time and ask your opinion. What are your thoughts on the crown work on this tooth? I am not so sure my Dentist is particularly skilled with crowns ie: he is known to leave some open margins.

Looks fine to me.

Back