• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal treatment and abscess

N

Neevmb

Hello! Over a year and a half ago I had a severe pain in my two of my teeth and essentially needed root canal, I then begun the procedure with my dentist but half way through said they were unable to finish and recommended me to a private practice which I cannot afford.

I have since started at a new dentist after a year of no treatment due to covid. During this time I have been struggling with bulimia and fear it’s made it worse. I am due to get the root canal procedure in two months right before my 18th birthday (which is when I will have to stop seeing my dentist and seek help elsewhere). I am regularly getting abscesses in my gum and am wondering if two months is too long to wait, and what I can do in the meantime to treat the infection.
i regularly freak out about this and would like for something to ease my mind, sorry for the long read. Thank you

You can't do anything to treat the infection, the only thing that will really help is to finish the root canal.
2 months is too long to wait if you're in pain, but you don't mention whether you are or not? If it's not painful then 2 more months won't make a huge difference to the outcome.

You're not going to get some terrible generalised infection from the tooth if that's what's worrying you?

I am in moderate pain, particularly if I bite with those teeth (they are at the front) but I feel as though I could wait. My main fear is the infection spreading to other teeth/ finding out I was too late and losing the teeth.
Thanks for replying!

Infections don't spread like that.

Waiting for treatment won't make any difference to the outcome, if you can cope with the pain it'll be fine.

Back