• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal treatment, infected and no antibiotics?

G

gson

Hi.

I went to my dentist 5 days ago with some minor, disturbing symptoms (numbing feeling around nose coming and going).
And turns out I have a rather big infection in my #8, they opened up the tooth and put in some medical filling, got a new appointment today, where they thoroughly cleaned out the tooth and did a temporary filling (same medical filling, I guess?)

I asked if antibiotics wasn't to be used, and the answer was "No, since I see here in my journal that you used antibiotics before we're not prescribing antibiotics".

It was a year ago I was on amoxicillin.

My question is whether or not I should be concerned with this? I thought antibiotics were critical in getting rid of the infection? Or will my infection subside with a cleaned out tooth? I am rather worried that the infection is going to continue linger and possibly spread (4 weeks to next appointment).

I am feeling a little bit drowsy, the numbing feeling near my nose still comes and goes (I had a rather long root apparently).
Your help is much appreciated.

Antibiotics are not necessary unless there is a localized swelling.

Back