• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal Treatment unsuccessful Today, advise please

D

Daz

Hi, out of desperation, I have found this site and hope that someone can offer some advice. I have suffered from one sensitive tooth for several months after hurting it on some granary bread. The dentist could not find anything wrong and pushed a flouride treatment into the gum, the pain worsened. They still found nothing and pushed more flouride into the gum and told me to use Duraphat toothpaste. It worsened, to the point of excruciating pain, typically on a Saturday night. NHS Direct couldn't really help and after calling them twice, they had an emergency doctor to call me who upped my Diclofenac. Got on top of the pain and visited an emergency dentist on the Monday who couldn't find anything wrong and suspected Trigeminal Neuralgia. Reading up on it scared me. Back to regular dentist on the Tuesday, given antibiotics (Met) but still there after 1 week. On re-visit, x-ray and root canal tmt there and then. Pain remained until a lump appearred in my gum on the Saturday, I had no option but to pierce it as pressure was immense. It felt much better but more root canal tmt today. Too painful and 3 shots of anaesthetic later, it was aborted and could not be cleaned out, antibiotic applied and told to go back in 2 weeks for a final attempt. If it fails, she will refer me.
I already had a fear of dentist, it has not got any better. I cannot face the pain again. I am in shock and confused. Why put me through more pain? Why not refer me now? and who/where am I being referred to?
If there is anyone out there who can offer advice, I would be truly grateful
Thanks in advance.
Darren:confused:

The best advice is to write these questions down (so you remember them!) and discuss it with your dentist before the 3 weeks is up...

Back