• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Canal

A

arg1n18

I went to the dentist today for an emergency appointment because I've been having toothache on and off for the last year and over the last few weeks it's become constant and more severe to the point where it is keeping me up at night.

I tend to avoid going to the dentist at all costs because I am TERRIBLE with my oral hygiene- I've been struggling a lot with my mental health over the last few years and taking care of my teeth is something that has slipped to the bottom of my list of priorities. I'm currently receiving inpatient treatment at my local psych ward and have been there for nearly 6 months now (*cries*).

I was expecting to have a temporary filling done today because I could see the decay on my tooth and it was kinda sensitive but wasnt expecting to be told that I'd need a root canal. The whole idea of this terrifies me, and if it wasnt for the fact that the temporary filling is super uncomfortable I'd be tempted to not go back (who am i kidding?! I'm still tempted not to go back).

Now that the numbing sensation has worn off I'm in more pain now than I was before my appointment. My usual dentist have said that it's 6 weeks until they can fit me in for thr full root canal procedure and the pain coupled with my nerves (pardon the pun) is sending me in to a frenzy already - I dont know if it's worth calling my dentist on monday morning again to see if they can fit me in sooner or if I'll just have to grin and bear it between now and then?

I feel like I can hardly chew anything even on the opposite side of my mouth, is that normal given that it's only been 24 hours since I had my appointment (nearly). I have an eating disorder which I have recently relapsed with so eating is a huge problem for me anyway at the moment, let alone without being worried that I'm going to end up with the filling coming out!

Also, can someone explain what I had done today- I went in and explained the problem which was all fine, and the dentist had a look and said she thought she knew what tooth I was on about because you could see the cavity (not huge but big enough) and she tapped on my teeth I guess to see if it produced more pain?

Then she numbed me (least painful injection ever!) and started to drill blah blah. After a while it got more uncomfortable but I didn't say anything because I was too anxious to put up my hand... I'm guessing it was getting close to the nerve here? She did keep reassuring me though which was fab (I wish she could be my usual dentist!!) When she had got rid of all the cavity she then used some of the file things and irrigated the tooth - is that basically what a root canal will be? (This was only done 2 times though which is why I'm.guessing itnwasnt the same as how the actual procedure will be). And then she said she was going to put some medication in the tooth before putting on the temporary filling.

All in all this took about 25 minutes - is that how long I can expect the root canal to take place when I go back?

Sorry for the essay but to sum up- is it normal that Im now in more pain than before the appointment? Should I ask for an earlier appointment? If they only have emergency appointments will they be able to do the full root canal or will it be much the same as today? And yeah! Thank you for reading my huge long ramble!

(Was also told I'd probably need my bottom wisdom teeth taking out but I'll save that for another day - too much tooth talk is making me feel funny)

Also, what is the cotton wool stuff that they put in to my tooth before the temporary filling? Have I effectively had the root canal done and just need to get it filled?

Ahhhh I'm over thinking things now...

Having trouble sorting out the questions, apologies if I miss something, old age and all that :)

1) Yes a root canal is a bit like that
2) I'd normally take a bit longer, depends on the tooth
3) No you shouldn't still be in so much pain, get back on the phone.
4) Cotton wool :)
5) Sort of. A bit more filing probably to open the canal up a bit to make room for the filling bit

Having trouble sorting out the questions, apologies if I miss something, old age and all that :)

1) Yes a root canal is a bit like that
2) I'd normally take a bit longer, depends on the tooth
3) No you shouldn't still be in so much pain, get back on the phone.
4) Cotton wool :)
5) Sort of. A bit more filing probably to open the canal up a bit to make room for the filling bit

Thank you! I'm going to phone the dentist tomorrow and see what they say, even though every part of me is telling me just to leave it and see how long the temp filling lasts because I really dont want to go back!

Good for you. Honestly just leaving it is storing up bigger problems in the long term. Also, there's not much the dentist can do to you now that could be any worse than what you've already done.

Back