• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal

B

Bstasio01

I’m panicking because I need a root canal. My tooth is dead and he said the pulp is infected. I’m panicking that the infection is spreading in my body (my dentist said this is very very rare and I don’t have an infection spreading .. but how does he really know) I’m also wondering if the tooth is dead can I skip the local anesthetic because that also panics me

Last edited:
Hi,

It is possible to start the root canal treatment and you might feel nothing and in case you do feel anything you can ask the dentist to stop and numb the tooth. Having said that, I have never done this before and I try to find a solution to allow numbing the tooth.

Infections from teeth do NOT spread to the body. We have to repeat this every week I think. Maybe time for a sticky post.
Oral bacteria which cause tooth issues are very fragile and don't last long in the bloodstream, assuming the patient has a functional immune system of course.
When I was a lad, we did all root canals without local, it can be done, but these days I'd rather put local in just to be absolutely certain that it's not going to hurt the patient.

Infections from teeth do NOT spread to the body. We have to repeat this every week I think. Maybe time for a sticky post.
Oral bacteria which cause tooth issues are very fragile and don't last long in the bloodstream, assuming the patient has a functional immune system of course.
When I was a lad, we did all root canals without local, it can be done, but these days I'd rather put local in just to be absolutely certain that it's not going to hurt the patient.
Thank you for this info. Googling has put it in my mind that it’s easy for an infection from a tooth to spread. Being a new member and kind of panicking I didn’t really read or search threads here. I kind of just wanted to get a quick answer here which I very much appreciate!

As someone who just had two root canals done at one appointment, I can tell you this: don’t panic! Although they’re not exactly a fun time, they are not the horror story I once believed them to be. You will do fine.

As someone who just had two root canals done at one appointment, I can tell you this: don’t panic! Although they’re not exactly a fun time, they are not the horror story I once believed them to be. You will do fine.
Thank you this helps ease my anxiety a little .. I’m mostly worried about feeling “stuck” in the chair for too long

Thank you this helps ease my anxiety a little .. I’m mostly worried about feeling “stuck” in the chair for too long

The procedure isn’t much longer than a filling. And you can absolutely ask for a break. I was worried about that, too, but my endodontist was very kind and would stop anytime I asked. Don’t worry, you got this!

The procedure isn’t much longer than a filling. And you can absolutely ask for a break. I was worried about that, too, but my endodontist was very kind and would stop anytime I asked. Don’t worry, you got this!
That’s reassuring! I’ve seen it can take well over an hour .. but it’s a premolar with 1 root and already pretty much broken open so they say it’s an easy tooth ?? I found a place that isn’t an endodontist but does root canals and emphasizes striving to create anxiety free dental with blankets Netflix aromatherapy etc so I meet them Tuesday

That’s reassuring! I’ve seen it can take well over an hour .. but it’s a premolar with 1 root and already pretty much broken open so they say it’s an easy tooth ?? I found a place that isn’t an endodontist but does root canals and emphasizes striving to create anxiety free dental with blankets Netflix aromatherapy etc so I meet them Tuesday

Wonderful that it’s a premolar! Much easier. Both of mine were molars...eight roots! Sounds like you have found a good place that understands anxiety, which is awesome. Take advantage of whatever they offer, because it will make things so much more comfortable. Please let us know how Tuesday goes. We are here to support you!

Bstasio01,

Sounds like you found a good place from all you say, one that seems like they will help you feel comfortable and care you are doing well through the procedure. That makes all the difference. I've had several root canals too and though, they've been boring, all the ones done from a caring dentist , have been comfortable as possible and not bad. Most even with no pain after . or during.

I"m guessing you probably went to meet them already, how was it?did you just meet or have it done and how are you?

Thank you for the support. Unfortunately he was a general dentist and didn’t feel comfortable doing the root canal with the tooth so broken.. I see an endodontist on Thursday for consult. I read all the reviews for him and many people said they were in and out in 45 minutes with a molar. So I’m hoping nine will take half the time since it’s a premolar with one root fingers crossed

Best of luck to you! Please try not to worry or panic (I know, easier said than done). I’ve had 2 root canals done in the last couple of months (separate visits)- one upper molar, one lower molar. I was in an absolute panic in anticipation of an awful experience & guess what? Not awful at all! The whole procedure, start to finish, including X-rays and time for local anesthesia to kick in, took less than an hour. I felt absolutely no pain during or after the procedures. I wanted to be very numbed up because I’ve had issues previously with not being numb enough & feeling pain during fillings so I cannot speak to doing a root canal without it, but the local was not painful or uncomfortable. Overall, it was a pretty pleasant experience (minus paying the invoice- haha!) Wishing you an easy, quick & pain-free experience. Please keep us posted about how it goes. ?

Best of luck to you! Please try not to worry or panic (I know, easier said than done). I’ve had 2 root canals done in the last couple of months (separate visits)- one upper molar, one lower molar. I was in an absolute panic in anticipation of an awful experience & guess what? Not awful at all! The whole procedure, start to finish, including X-rays and time for local anesthesia to kick in, took less than an hour. I felt absolutely no pain during or after the procedures. I wanted to be very numbed up because I’ve had issues previously with not being numb enough & feeling pain during fillings so I cannot speak to doing a root canal without it, but the local was not painful or uncomfortable. Overall, it was a pretty pleasant experience (minus paying the invoice- haha!) Wishing you an easy, quick & pain-free experience. Please keep us posted about how it goes. ?
Thank you for the support and encouragement! I see the endodontist tomorrow morning for consult... I’m hoping when I schedule the root canal it’s super quick it’s a premolar with one root and doesn’t need to be drilled open as it’s already broke open .. it’s taken me a few weeks to settle my nerves but I’m starting to come around a bit so hopefully my consult goes well! I’m hoping for no anesthetic because I always get faint right after .. we’ll see what they say ... I’ve been told the tooth is for sure dead.. I can’t swish mouth wash around and it doesn’t cause the slightest discomfort and I can pretty much put the tip of my tongue into the hole ?

Hi everyone. I had my consult today at the endodontist. He said that we could try to do the procedure without anesthetic and if I experience pain we can stop and do the local. He does have to remove some gum tissue that’s growing into it so that stinks. He said if all goes well it should take about an hour which threw me a little. I didn’t think it would take that long for a tooth with 1 root ?. We talked about me taking breaks if needed and he said we could stop for a breather but he probably wouldn’t take the dental dam off which also freaks me out a little .. and hour is a long time for me ?

I have my root canal on the 24th I’ve been working myself up to it until I stumbled upon root canal complications on the internet now I’m freaking out about it again ?

I have my root canal on the 24th I’ve been working myself up to it until I stumbled upon root canal complications on the internet now I’m freaking out about it again ?
Glad your appointment is set! Do not, I repeat DO NOT, Google complications! I promise you that all it will do is freak you out. As someone who’s had 2 root canals in the past two months (and was absolutely frantic/panicked about it), I can tell you that it will be okay! I promise you that you’re making it out to be something bigger and scarier than it will be (our minds have a funny habit of doing that). Deep breaths. You will be fine and you’ll be so glad when the procedure is over and done with, and you’ll soon be giving out advice to others here on this forum about how root canals aren’t nearly as bad as they sound- mostly just boring & expensive! ❤️

Glad your appointment is set! Do not, I repeat DO NOT, Google complications! I promise you that all it will do is freak you out. As someone who’s had 2 root canals in the past two months (and was absolutely frantic/panicked about it), I can tell you that it will be okay! I promise you that you’re making it out to be something bigger and scarier than it will be (our minds have a funny habit of doing that). Deep breaths. You will be fine and you’ll be so glad when the procedure is over and done with, and you’ll soon be giving out advice to others here on this forum about how root canals aren’t nearly as bad as they sound- mostly just boring & expensive! ❤
Yes I’ve been trying hard to only look at the procedure itself so I know what to expect and I happened to run into that along the way and also ready you can die from a tooth infection which also has me freaked out ?

Yes I’ve been trying hard to only look at the procedure itself so I know what to expect and I happened to run into that along the way and also ready you can die from a tooth infection which also has me freaked out ?
You’re probably more likely to win the lottery & get struck by lightning at the same time than dying from tooth infection. You’ll be looking back on this soon & wonder why you let it consume so much of your energy. It’s okay to be scared, but I promise you that it will be okay.

Well tomorrow’s the big day! I’m feeling quite a bit anxious today and hoping I can get through this and be done with it! I appreciate all the support I’ve gotten here it’s helped a lot! wish me luck

Good luck! You’re going to do amazingly well! ?

Back