• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal

K

kayduck

Hi. Got to book in for a root canal on a front tooth. Did a stupid thing and went onto you tube... now im worried about gagging on the protection material they put in your mouth?

Kayduck,

Not a dentist but had several root canals myself. Definately let them know you are worried about this. One thing about the dental dam they use is it does feel very secure and though I have a small mouth and gag easily I've always felt a bit comforted by the security of this and that it would catch anything in the area. I know sometimes a dentist would try to put cotton rolls.. I cannot stand this, makes me quite nerous.. so I tell them and they deal with it and take it out.

Most dentists want you to be the most comfortable as you can be. Hope the one you go to is one of them.

Hi. Got to book in for a root canal on a front tooth. Did a stupid thing and went onto you tube... now im worried about gagging on the protection material they put in your mouth?

Agree with everything krlovesherkids said. I am trying to picture what could make you gag in it and can‘t come up with ideas - there will be a small thing that comes around your tooth. If your own teeth don‘t make you gag, then that part won‘t as it sits on the tooth. The rest of it is resting on your lips. If touching your lips with your hand gently doesn‘t make you gag, then the rest of the protection material won‘t either. :)

Agree with everything krlovesherkids said. I am trying to picture what could make you gag in it and can‘t come up with ideas - there will be a small thing that comes around your tooth. If your own teeth don‘t make you gag, then that part won‘t as it sits on the tooth. The rest of it is resting on your lips. If touching your lips with your hand gently doesn‘t make you gag, then the rest of the protection material won‘t either. :)
Thank you.

You won’t gag! The dental dam doesn’t go into your mouth very far and definitely doesn’t impair breathing, swallowing, etc. I worried about this, too, and I barely noticed it. Don’t worry!

Back