• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal?

S

Samereynolds

Last year I had a deep filling in my front tooth.

So today I went in for an emergency dentist appointment because I have a bad toothache and my face is swelling up a little. Took some ibuprofen which helped with pain and swelling.

Emergency dentist (not my usual dentist) said he wasn't sure. Told me to book appointment with usual dentist which is on Tuesday. On the x-ray he sees a small dark area up in the nerves but says it wasn't that significant?

I'm still in pain. Taking ibuprofen and codeine. Trying to ice my face. Used extra strength oragel. Not having a fun time.

What do I do until Tuesday? What if my face swells up more? He said I didn't need antibiotics. Is he correct in saying I may need a root canal?

I am not a dentist, but wanted tell you that I hope you feel better soon and can control your pain until you get into your dentist. I will add that you may want to see if you can get into see an Endodontist as they specifically specialize in root canals and your dentist may end up referring you to one.

So my face has swollen up a little more. Not drastically but I look like I had botched lip filler in my upper lip. My cheek under my eye is warm to the touch. I've called 111 and waiting for a call back. Do I need antibiotics?

No you need the abscess drained through the tooth first of all.

How do they do that?

There's no visible sign on my gums that there's an absess

Back