• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canals, crowns, and infections. Oh my!

P

peeledpotato

Let me start out by giving some background: I'm 27, female, I have genetically bad teeth. It doesn't matter how much I brush, floss, use mouth wash, etc. There's literally ALWAYS something.

So, I figured I'd just throw my thoughts out here because I feel stupid talking to people about them. I hate the dentist. I don't like getting work done. I don't like how much money it costs. I don't like any of it.

Last year I went for a checkup and was told I needed a bunch of work. I got a few initial fillings, but chickened out and just didn't go back in. Well, it gets worse the longer you wait! Duh!

I went back in today for a cleaning and was told I now need two root canals and several crowns. It's my own fault, but I'm looking at $900 for ONE and I'm fairly certain I needed like six, not counting to the two dental implants I've needed for ages. I also have a cavity on the back of one of my tooth that is large, but on the tooth next to it I have an infection! I'm not in pain or anything, but I got a prescription for amoxicilin and am going in on the 28th to get that first part done. (hopefully.)

I have the funds to get all this work done, in the form of a trust fun guarded by my dragon of a mother who when I told her today what was happening, go mad at me and belittled me. She told me I should take better care of them, when she knows full well that I do.

I don't know. I feel like a failure for letting my teeth get this bad, and I nearly cried as the hygenist told me everything I needed done.

Onwards and upwards, I guess.

Hi Peelepotato,

do you feel any discomfort from the teeth which were candidated for a root canal treatment? If not, there is no rush and I would recommend a second opinion.
Hereis a video I made about guilt and self blaming about dental issues. Hope it helps.

@peeledpotato I really feel for you. Dental anxiety kept me from going to the dentist for way too long. I don't know if I was more fearful of the procedure or the price! Anyway, I finally went and found out I needed a whole lot of work done which cost me a small fortune. I realised that going to the dentist regularly (no matter how anxious I get about it) would save me money in the long run. Did you end up getting the work done? If so, don't leave it so long to see the dentist from here on in. I've found it so much better on my nerves and bank balance to go every 6-12 months.

Hey there. We all have that one relative who loves to make us feel even worse. As long as she doesn't stop you from access to the money I would do my best to ignore the comments. Don't feel bad. I have a lot of work I need done too and it's both from me avoiding the dentist for so long and genetics. We are all here because we all struggle with the anxiety and fear and a lot of us are way too hard on ourselves. We can't go back in time and change things but we can change things now. You aren't alone. We may not be there to keep you company in person but we are here to read your journey and share ours.

Back