• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canals

B

Beccab213

Good evening,
I’ve had 6 dental crowns with root canals. My friend told me that root canals do not last a lifetime. I’m terrified that I’m destined to root canal failure and extraction. I make every effort to take care of my teeth.
My bedtime routine is:
Floss
Water pick flosser
Brush with electric tooth brush
Listerine
fluoride gel treatment
Any advice?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Dump the listerine. A bit too much alcohol in it to use routinely, it's not necessary.
You probably don't need the fluoride gel every night but if it makes you happy carry on.

Tell the friend they're an idiot :)

I

IZZYBELLY2

How old are you? I worry about this too being 28. I have some big fillings that will likely need root canals in the future.

Some people here have had root canals for a very long time!! I’m holding out on that hope too. Try not to worry about it too much… just take the best care you can of your teeth now. I think with crowns one of the big issues is new decay underneath? So stopping that is key. But I’m not a dentist, just an anxiety riddled person who has spent hours reading this forum lol so I might be wrong

B

Beccab213

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I’m 35 and some of root canals are 7 years old. How long do they usually last? My parents both needed revisions on their root canals and I’m so scared.

B

Beccab213

I’m 35. I’ll do my best not to worry. I’m always worried about crowns falling out too.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Well one of mine is 42 years old and still fine. And it was done by a dental student, not even a qualified dentist :) My wife has 3 inlays which I did as a dental student which have never fallen out and are still fine. Those are 43 years old now, which she won't thank me for passing on :)

B

Beccab213

Well thank you so much! That’s good to hear. Last question, do crowns fall out often and is it an emergency when they do?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Not very often, the modern cements are really good. Strictly speaking no, it's not an emergency, but if it was your front tooth and you were about to get married, I'd say it was pretty urgent :)

B

Beccab213

You’ve been so helpful.
Thank you so much!
I’m working hard on this dental anxiety.