• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root cavity in molar

R

rkhan2000

Hello everybody.

I have a difficult history with dentist visits and my stress and anxiety levels get so high that the doc can’t get me numb (ie I still feel the pain). My last 4 wisdom teeth (all together) were removed in general anesthesia!

I have been having a dull pain in one of my molars for the last several months - specially when I bite down. Been stalling the dentist visit. I finally visited with the dentist two days ago and he did an X-ray. It seems one of my molars had a root cavity but the doc wasn’t sure. He saw a shadow on the molar root. He’s given me some mouth wash and gel and wants to see me again in two weeks.

I have researched online and super anxious that I probably need either a RCT or extraction. I can’t sleep thinking that they won’t be able to get me numb again and what will I do?! Because it is on my mind all the time, I am feeling the pain even more - it’s on my mind every second of my day. Can’t concentrate on anything - lost focus completely. I do think that when I stop thinking about it , the pain goes away (eg when I am asleep).

Any advice on what happens if there is a root cavity in my molar? What’s the treatment course? What if they can’t get me numb again?

Any advice/suggestions would be awesome.

Thank you.

I can’t advise on the tooth, but is there any way you can get nitrous oxide, or even an oral sedative?
I have always had difficulty getting and staying numb. Part is due to anxiety…my heart rate speeds up and pumps the anesthetic right out! I had nitrous oxide for my first root canal and was still terrified, clutching the sides of the armrests, even though the nitrous made me a little loopy. Once the endodontist told me she had reached the pulp and I still didn’t feel anything, I was able to relax a little more. The nitrous allows your body to relax and helps the anesthetic work better.
I have used oral sedative also and it works okay also.

Back