• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root completely covered

R

Rachalix

So I’ve finally got an appointment on Friday morning about the root left which is completely covered by my gum, I can’t sleep even now with the worry :cry: I could honestly kick myself for letting it get like this and not going sooner as I haven’t always been scared of the dentist it’s only since having my first child 10 years ago & the health anxiety & panic attacks started from then & I’ve been terrified ever since. Does anyone have any tips on how to calm myself down a little & has anyone ever had a tooth removed that was completely covered by the gum? I’m scared I’ll have to go to the hospital and be put to sleep for it removing & that’s 1 of my worst fears I don’t mind sedation but I don’t want to be put to sleep at all.

Hi Rachalix,

first of all: this is your teeth and you decide what will be done and how. If you are afraid of sedation, then don't do it. Nobody can force you to do a treatment in the hospital and being put to sleep because of one single root doesn't make much sense. If there is gum above, that's not a problem either. I was wondering whether a quick call to your practice to ask them for reassurance may put your mind at ease at least a bit?

When it comes to the anxiety before an appointment, different people find different things helpful. What works the most may be to keep yourself busy with other stuff so that you don't have much time to think about the visit and maybe simply doing what you feel like doing and staying kind to yourself. There are also some relaxation and breathing techniques you may find useful.

If you can't keep yourself from thinking about the anxiety, then making a list of things that worry you / a list of questions for your dentist may be helpful.

The most useful thing in my worst moments was venting so feel free to write here or start a journal and pour your feelings and worries in it, if you feel that may help.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Thank you for replying! I have my appointment first thing tomorrow morning so I won’t have much time to sit & worry so that’s a good thing I suppose. I don’t know exactly what it is that scares me I’ve had numerous fillings it’s not the drills I think it’s when I’m numb cause it caused me to have a panic attack last time & resulted in me walking out in tears & not having the treatment done & my dentist isn’t really understanding she always seems in a rush to get to the next patient & I can’t move dentists as I don’t drive so don’t want to travel too far. But whatever it is that needs doing I’m going to do it because I can’t live in fear worrying all the time about it getting infected etc surely whatever I have to have done to have it removed will be better then living a life of worry.

I’ve just had my appointment they took an X-ray & they’ve referred me for iv sedation which I don’t mind as I’ve had it before for teeth pulling out it won’t be for another few weeks but I’m just glad it’s getting sorted

Glad things went well. :) I wished your dentist would be a bit more understanding, that would probably make a difference. Sounds like you're really happy with the iv sedation, that's great news.

Hope the time until your apt passes quickly, do keep us posted!
:grouphug:

Back