• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root exposure and gum grafts

P

Pinkwindsor

Hello, I have 4-5mm root exposure all along the top and bottom rows of my teeth and have been recommended for gum grafts. Appointments have been made before the end of this year on the NHS.
My teeth are white, it’s apparently over brushing that may have caused the excessive root exposure. Since using Sensodine toothpaste, my teeth don’t hurt anymore.

1. Can the root exposure stabilise?
2. Is a gum graft most definitely something I will need to have done in the future? (I’m 27)
3. Is pinhole surgery a possibility?

Thank you 😭

I couldn’t seem to edit the above but it was asked on behalf of my daughter.

1) Yes, but losing 5mm at that early age is a worry, it if it got worse there's not a lot of wiggle room before teeth are seriously compromised.
2) Sooner the better really, especially if the NHS are paying for it, it must be fairly serious :) They won't pay for it if it's just for cosmetics.
3) Not sure what you mean by "pinhole", if you mean like keyhole surgery, then no, not possible to graft this way.

@Gordon Thank you for your reply. I’ve been reading your words ‘ fairly serious’ over and over again though 😭

I do understand the procedure that my daughter will need to go through. But she’s pretty terrified about it.

There’s apparently a new technique which doesn’t involve taking tissue from the roof of the mouth, but I think we will stay with the tried and tested solution.

FWIW, most patients who have it done say it's not as bad as they thought it would be, it does seem pretty horrific but generally soft tissue surgery is pretty OK afterwards, there's a good blood supply and healing is very straightforward.

Hello, I'm in a similar situation. Also 27 and needing a gum graft. I only need it on one tooth as far as the Dentist said, but have yet to get a exam by a Periodontist so we'll see. I wish you luck with your gum graft.

Back