• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

root extraction

B

beckieb

Hi I am hoping somebody can help ease my anxiety. Last week I attended my dentist surgery for what was a simple extraction of one of my top teeth near the back of my mouth. The tooth was decayed so we decided it was best to just extract it. I plucked up the courage to go as to be honest it's my worst nightmare. The tooth came out but two roots were left behind. The dentist tried to remove them but said they were close to my sinus so would be cautious and refer me to hospital to have them removed. I'm now petrified. so what I'm asking is, has anyone experienced this and how was it? Also it's under local anasthetic as my fear is having to have general. I was also sent home with antibiotics. the dentist also said that by the time my referral comes through my gum from the extraction would be healed. which worries me more as the gum will need cutting again presumably

Last edited:
It'll be under local. It's a very simple procedure for a surgeon, won't take long at all.
Why does the gum being cut worry you particularly? You'll feel a bit of pressure but not much else.

I guess because my gum would have healed by the time my appointment comes through, it’s just having to go through it again. The word hospital referral has made me even more scared, do you think a sinus perforation is likely? And if so is it bad? Thank you so much for replying, just wanted some reassurance to ease my anxiety

Last edited:
@beckieb you don't have to get the root removed if it's not causing you any problems

That’s what I thought but apparently they can become infected and cause more problems?

why would my dentist make a hospital referral? I’m so stressed about it! At the time she said the roots were near my sinus and that adding force could move them into them. She said dentists at the hospital have the better tools etc with this kind of thing. I think the word hospital has just freaked me out as I suffer with health anxiety

I guess because my gum would have healed by the time my appointment comes through, it’s just having to go through it again. The word hospital referral has made me even more scared, do you think a sinus perforation is likely? And if so is it bad? Thank you so much for replying, just wanted some reassurance to ease my anxiety
I know what you mean, the surgeon will put a couple of stitches in place which will help it heal a bit faster, but it is a shame to go stirring things up again!
It's a hospital referral because (mostly) in the UK oral surgeons are based in hospitals. It's just the way the NHS works.
No, a sinus perforation is not likely and it's absolutely not a big deal anyway.

Thank you for your reassurance. Google has not helped me at all! One more question, can the roots be pushed into the sinus if too much force is used by the dentist, and is retrieval of them pretty straight forward (if not in the sinus ) with an oral surgeon? As my general dentist was worried she might force the roots into it when trying to get them out. She said the oral surgeons are better equipped etc which is why she made the referral

Last edited:
Not by using too much force but using it in the wrong direction could do it. Extracting roots is dead easy for any oral surgeon.
It's not so much equipment, it's practice and training. General dentists don't do many extractions and usually refer on the more tricky stuff. Oral surgeons are doing this kind of stuff every day.

Back