• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Planing and Scaling no antibiotics?

D

DisneyMom

After a good 8 year absence from a dentist, I was referred to a periodontist by my dentist, for the very first time in my life. I went for the consultation last Monday, and found I was in the early stages of gum issues. My pockets were 4-6 mms, and two 7mm, but Perio said he didn't really see any problems, and the root planing and scaling would be done in two visits. I asked about antibiotics, and he said none were needed. That really had me concerned. I was under the impression antibiotics were prescribed to prevent the bacteria entering the bloodstream? I'm not as concered of the procedure itself as the possible problems afterwards. Is there any way I can tell the periodontist that I would feel better if I were given antibiotics?
Thank you so much in advance!

It's ok Disneymom antibiotics are not needed for this procedure, your periodontist is correct.

It's ok Disneymom antibiotics are not needed for this procedure, your periodontist is correct.
Thank you for your reply. I was under the impression bacteria could enter the bloodstream. (Google can be a bad thing LOL) I have heard horror stories about endocarditis, etc. I am no spring chicken but, of course, started thinking this could be potentially dangerous.

Back