• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Planing - Terrified

C

Claire_83

Hi,

I'm 28 years old and I saw a periodontist last last as I have been having problems with bleeding gums, she told me that I had gum disease and that I would need a treatment called root planing to manage this. I am absolutely terried of the dentist and am completely paranoid about it. I have been having anxiety attacks since and have found myself crying all the time.

I am booked in to have this done in a couple of weeks time and they are going to do my whole mouth in one appointment under sedation. I am just so scared of what will happen and what to expect after. I am totally terrified that my teeth will fall out and I just cannot think of anything worse. I have been told that I have a grade 1 mobility in one of my teeth at the bottom at the front and I am terrified that this was fall out.

I am not sure how to overcome this or what to expect during the treatment and also afterwards. My periodontist is lovely and she has been really helpful and told me that if I have this procedure done there is no reason why I my teeth will not last me for the rest of my life, but I just have this fear that this is not true and I am finding it really hard.

Does anyone have any advice or support on how to help me with this?

Claire

Hi Claire and a big fat welcome to you.

I am sorry to hear that you have gum disease, and that you have been having anxiety attacks and crying all the time (certainly know that one). Now I am not a dentist or health pro, and I didn't know what this was, so me old mate Google sent me on to Wiki and I have copied a brief bit about it, which I hope is helpful, so here goes that one:

"The objective for periodontal scaling and root planing is to remove etiologic agents, which can cause inflammation to the gum tissue and surrounding bone. Common etiologic agents removed by periodontal therapy include dental plaque and tartar (calculus). Scaling and root planning is one of the most effective periodontal methods of treating gum disease before it becomes severe.
Because in periodontal disease pockets form that are deeper than the usual gingival depth, such scaling and root planing are often referred to as
deep cleaning, and may be performed using a number of dental tools, including ultrasonic instruments and hand instruments, such as periodontal scalers and curettes."

Your Periodontist sounds as if she is very capable of not only carrying out the procedure, but of handling you as a nervous patient, and that will go a long way to getting you through your treatment. I have had IV sedation and love it. I am more than happy to let you know more about it if you would like to. I don't know what grade 1 mobility is, so hopefully one of our dentists can help with this bit. But I am sure that your dentist would have told you if she thought there was a likelihood she would need to let you know this?

This site isn't sometimes so busy on weekends, so don't think you are being ignored in your quest for advice, as someone will get back to you who has more knowledge than me, as soon as they can.

In the meantime hunni, try not to worry yourself insane. I know it is easier said than done, but I hope you are able to calm yourself a wee bit

Hi Claire, I am having an extraction and cleaning soon under IV and my dentist said that my 2 lower front teeth may be really lose after the cleaning and might have to be extracted, but they cannot say for sure until you have had the cleaning. I am also terrified of this but am also very relieved that I am managing to hang on to most of them considering my lack of dental visits. Your glass is more full than empty I suspect so think positively. You have started your journey to a healthy mouth, so huge big well done to you.:jump:

Hi Claire

I've just started going to dentist after a 20 year break and recenty had root planing. It was actually fine...no big deal , definitely didn't hurt and like you I was really worried that my teeth wouldn't be up to it but they were fine and look better than I could ever have imagined. I'm sure if they weren't stable enough or there was a risk that your teeth would be made unstable by the cleaning your Dentsist would have warned you. Try not to worry ....as with most things the worry is much worse than the actual event, Good Luck x

Hi Claire,

I've had this done several times. Fear not. (Yes, I know, easier said than done). I'm old enough to be your ..... ah ..... grandmother (holy mackeral) and I've had perio disease for a long time and all my teeth are in my mouth. It is a disease that doesn't go away but it can be managed with regular cleanings and seriously strict home care.

Your mouth will be a bit sore afterwards but it is nothing awful and you will soon be as right as rain.

BH:XXLhug:

Thank you so much for all your support and advice it has been very helpful.

I actually phoned them today to see if they could fit me in any earlier as the waiting is driving me mad! They are going to see me on Wednesday, even though I asked it was still a shock and I burst in to tears again.

I have had a look online to see what to expect but I'm not sure if its made me feel worse or not! I'm glad it's being done sooner but the reality has just hit home and I feel a bit at a loss!

I'm sure things will be fine but I don't think I'll feel good about it until its done and I can see what it looks like!

Back