• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root Scaling and Planning Questions

A

acustenginerd

Hi,

I have recently had some dental work done (1 RC and handful of fillings). My dentist says that I need a deep cleaning under the gums. While I am sure this is the case, I am a little concerned that she said it can be done in one hour with no numbing. I confirmed that this is NOT any kind of laser or special treatment. On one hand (because I have anxiety when it comes to my teeth) I am questioning how it can be done in one hour where as everything else I have read says 2-4 sessions. Also, everything else says you are numbed (which I am sure I would prefer because I don't mind needles). My dentist said "if we numb patients, sometimes it goes too deep". My thought is, "Does it have to be painful to know you have gone too far?"

One the other hand, maybe mine isn't AS bad?!

Lastly, she is only charging me $400. My understanding is normally this is about $1,000. While money is a factor, is something like LANAP much better than this treatment?

Thanks

Hi,

I have recently had some dental work done (1 RC and handful of fillings). My dentist says that I need a deep cleaning under the gums. While I am sure this is the case, I am a little concerned that she said it can be done in one hour with no numbing. I confirmed that this is NOT any kind of laser or special treatment. On one hand (because I have anxiety when it comes to my teeth) I am questioning how it can be done in one hour where as everything else I have read says 2-4 sessions. Also, everything else says you are numbed (which I am sure I would prefer because I don't mind needles). My dentist said "if we numb patients, sometimes it goes too deep". My thought is, "Does it have to be painful to know you have gone too far?"

One the other hand, maybe mine isn't AS bad?!

Lastly, she is only charging me $400. My understanding is normally this is about $1,000. While money is a factor, is something like LANAP much better than this treatment?

Thanks
I just had root planing and scaling completed this past Monday. I had 2 quadrants done at a time, and was numbed for the procedure. I had several 5mm and 2 7 mm pockets. It took longer to be numbed than the procedure itself. The actual root planing and scaling took about 20 mins. It is quite possible your pockets aren't as bad as mine were, but it did take two visits for me. My Periodontist did not use LANAP. My suggestion would be, if during the procedure you feel any discomfort, tell your dentist you would like to be numbed to proceed. Best of luck!

Thanks Disney.

What you are saying seems to be way more in line with what I have been reading.

This week I talked to 2 other dentists and they were kind of surprised at what my current dentist was saying so they recommended I come in for a second opinion. I am going to see 2 different ones this week before my scheduled apt. Hopefully they will give me a better idea of what they see going on.

I really have no idea how 'bad' my situation is. I have not had a perio chart done yet. When i had some fillings done and the dentist was putting in the dental dam paper is was causing my gums to bleed so maybe that is why she is thinking it is under the gum? I know I do have some tartar and buildup above the gum line on a few teeth so maybe that is another indicator?

We shall see.

Any other input or experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

With my deep cleaning, I was numbed up for it.

With my deep cleaning, I was numbed up for it.

That is what I would assume...I am not sure I can mentally handle picking and scraping below my gums and feeling it.

Back