• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Rotten teeth

G

Gfan

Hi all! So I am a 37 year old female who hasn't been to the dentist in close to 8 years. My teeth are in very bad shape. I've had some crowns and bridges put in years ago but now the gums have receded and it looks like there are big problems underneath. My teeth are also starting to separate and my gums are always red and swollen. I've had many of my back teeth taken out and the ones that are still there have severe decay and are broken. My other remaining teeth all have some sort of decay or cavities also. My biggest fear is that I Will go to the dentist and they will say I need dentures. I just can't come to terms with this. I'm a single mother of three so implants would just not be an option as far as money goes. I'm so embarrassed and ashamed. I don't smile anymore. All I ever think about are my teeth, but I'm so scared of going back to the dentist, although I know I need to. I've picked up the phone many times to make an appointment but I get such severe anxiety that I just hang up. I guess my question is, how bad can your teeth really be and still be saved?? I work in a professional medical environment so I can't be without teeth for any amount of time. The last time I was at the dentist they threatened me with the dentures story and I know my teeth have only gotten much worse since then. I just don't think I could handle that. I know it wouldn't be the end of the world, but for me I know it would send me into a deep depression. Has anyone been in this situation that would be willing to share their story and what you've done? Thank you!

Last edited:
Gfran,

Hi, I am also a single mom of two and for many years had awful dental experiences followed by alot of sweets and not flossing. I brush but I was always afraid of flossing for whatever reason. then i was in abusive marraige he wouldn't pay for any dental procedures and he was very controlling so I had awful experiences until i was 30 and found a very compassionate dentist.. she was young and just out of school and wanted to make a difference I believe, i used to walk in covering my mouth and she would say.. you shouldn't have to cover your beautiful smile. well I ddin't believe it was beautiful because my teeth were awful... she really earned my trust and was able to get me to agree to bottom partial dentures and doing some root canals and crowns on the top few that I could do. I never felt better. i couldn't do everything at once but i did feel better as hard as it was to do the partial I felt better after. and I got my dignity back.. I think now adays there is so much more they can do.. I hear you on the cost its hard to afford good dental work. espcially with kids there is always something and we always put the kids first as a single mom don't we.. I hope you find a place that can help you save as many as you can and work with you to give you your smile back !! I totally understand.. maybe get a few opinons and see who you feel comfortable with too if you haven't been anywhere in a while. I hope you find someone. please let us know how your journey continues.!! you are in the right spot!

Thank you so much for sharing! It really helps to hear from people that have been in my shoes. I plan on making an appointment with the dentist I have went to in the past this week. He has always been pretty compassionate, so I hope I will have the same experience this time. Depending on how it goes I may get a second opinion. Thanks again for your kind words!!!

Back