• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Rough hygienist experience, looking for feedback!

M

Miramooke

Hi folks!

I had a really uncomfortable experience at the dentist last night and I am seeking some feedback as to whether I'm right/wrong or somewhere in between.

I know this is a dental anxiety group, so, trigger warning - rough dental cleaning below!

For context: I am 31. I brush and floss daily, have had some cavities over the years and my wisdom teeth were extracted, but overall I'd say my gums and teeth are in great condition. I have always been to the dentist on average every 12 months and have never had a problem or anxiety being in the chair.

Last night, I went for my checkup and cleaning at a new dentist, a little late at 18 months since my last cleaning (my new job doesn't have insurance). Everything was fine, I got some x-rays and the dentist did an exam. No problems.

Then I went for the cleaning with the hygienist. From the start, I wasn't getting a good vibe. I asked her not to do the polishing (since I have no insurance, I like to save a few bucks where I can) which is normally not a problem, but chastised me that it was "important". Yet, everything I'd read indicates that it's not a vital part of the cleaning and is more cosmetic.

The cleaning, though, was so, so bad. I've had loads of cleaning including back in my youth when I didn't floss and that dark summer I used a manual toothbrush instead of my electric one, and I can tell the difference between pain from poking inflamed gums, and the pick tool actually digging into my gums. I could tell what she was doing: instead of getting the pick just below, or slightly under, my gum, she was starting her "stroke" with her pick on my gum and scraping downwards onto the tooth.

It was excessively painful, I could taste a lot of blood, and for the first time ever in the dentist chair I contemplated telling her to just stop, but I waited it out. Then at the end, she tried to schedule me in 6 months later and I told her 12 months (how many times do I gotta say I have no insurance!) and she scoffed/laughed and told me that was a bad idea but up to me.

When I got home, I noticed that I had something between my front teeth, which turned out to be a small piece of danging gum flesh. I also had small "gouges" (not as bad as it sounds - and to be honest, that could be what my gums always look like) and red spots peppered along my gumline. Moreover, my gums were not red and swollen as I would expect them to be if the pain had been caused by gingivitis.

I wrote the dental office an email (nice, but honest) explaining that I wasn't happy with the cleaning, and why, and what I was observing in my mouth.

They called me today and to their credit, front desk staff very apologetic, even as I tried to downplay my complaint (I'm the pits at confrontation). She told me the dentist wanted to meet with me today. I went, just an expecting an apology and a promise to be more careful next time but instead he examined my mouth and said "oh, yes, I see what you mean here. That's likely just a little trauma from the cleaning" and sent me on my way. No apology, no comments on anything else, just the implication that this was normal and I was being overly sensitive.

I was shocked. I don't know if he needed to find giant hunks of my mouth missing to believe me, or if he just thinks it's normal for there to be "trauma" of this nature. And hey, maybe it is, I'm not an expert, and I'm really hoping you guys can weigh in on this.

All my past experience, and everything I've read tells me that dental cleanings don't really need to hurt that much, especially if you're someone who brushes and flosses daily and goes for cleanings fairly regularly, and I'm somewhat horrified by the idea that someone who plans to stick sharp things in my mouth has that "welp, that's just a little trauma, off you go" attitude.

But maybe I am expecting too much, and part of me doesn't want to go through the hassle of switching dentists again next year.

What do you guys think? Should I just get over it, or are my alarm bells ringing for good reason?

Honestly if it were me I would run really fast the other way. Now a days, cleaning doesn't have to be rough and painful. if you have someone that truly cares and is patient and compassionate they will take their time and make sure they are careful with you . Personally I don't see any excuse for treating you like this.. you are a person not just a set of teeth..

Honestly if it were me I would run really fast the other way. Now a days, cleaning doesn't have to be rough and painful. if you have someone that truly cares and is patient and compassionate they will take their time and make sure they are careful with you . Personally I don't see any excuse for treating you like this.. you are a person not just a set of teeth..

Agree--having a good hygienist that you can trust is SO important, it can make the difference between getting in as often as you should, or putting it off longer than you should. I have had the same one for several years and won't schedule with anyone else.

I know it is a pain, but it's worth finding a good hygienist. Maybe as important for some as a good dentist. And even though you hate confrontation, it would be helpful for you old dentist (once you get set up with a new one) to know why you never showed up again, so maybe you could write them a note. If you just never show up again they won't learn anything about proper customer service.

Agree with others I would probably have run the other way, whilst my dentist was away on holiday (I should have rearranged) I had to see another dentist for my checkup, she was much much younger than the owner she was very rough with her scale and polish

Cutting up gums where a piece is still hanging from a routine cleaning is not right. And then tell you it is normal, what a crock. I would blast them on all review websites.

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking, but the dentist's cavalier attitude about it had me questioning my sanity. I thought I hit the jackpot with finding a dentist that's literally next door to my work, but it was too good to be true I guess.

The place my boyfriend goes to has the sweetest, most wonderful staff ever. I think they almost cried with happiness when my super-anxious bf let them fill a cavity (this, after a 12-molar extraction under GA). So I think I'll get my files transferred there then leave an honest review online, and will absolutely inform the dentist of why I left.

To think, all he had to do was say sorry and that it won't happen again! :rolleyes:

My heart goes out to you and concur with everyone else who has written and probably most other professionals in the business that indeed a cleaning session should NOT hurt in any way whatsover; if you are left in agony, move on swiftly and find somebody decent and caring as I and countless others have done; there are plenty of lovely souls out there that will look after you and give you a pleasant experience. The individual that treated you in this way should in my opinion be sued for assault and neglect and ultimately struck off!

Hope your onward quest proves successful and that you find that dental guardian angel very soon

https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/scale-and-polish/
Don't ever let any one do that to you again. Use your stop signal and be prepared to just walk out if necessary. I have 'been there and allowed that once' too but am happy to report ever since all hygienist visits have been a comfortable experience. It seems some dentists are better at employing gentle ones than others.

Back