• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Round lump (does not feel sharp) where Wisdom Teeth used to be

L

Linoge

Hello, this is my first post, kinda expect more, as I'm sort of hypochondriac ^^.

I did a search thorough the site with Google's site:// and found a similar question, but, and herein why I consider myself a bit more paranoic than the average, the user who posted it sensed something sharp.

I had exodontia done about a year and a half ago. My four wisdom teeth were removed as a result from it. I had no trouble whatsoever recovering from it (something extremely awkward thorough my life). Two months ago (take or leave a few days) I was doing my usual "see what's wrong now" analysis and found that there was a little lump located were my left bottom wisdom teeth used to be. A little ascii art display might be of help:

[ L ]
[ T ]
[ T ]

Looked from above, L is the lump, it grows up. T are just teeth.

So, I asked my dentist and she said, oh, it's alright, it's just your wisdom teeth. Strange enough, as she was the one that sent me over to a friend of hers to remove it. After telling her so in an educate manner she said it surely was an spicule, but did not perform any test whatsoever.

So, today I found that the little lump is a bit larger and will soon visit her, but would like to hear any opinions ^^.

I'm particularly afraid of oral cancer (as I've made her know several times) :).

P.D: The are some tiny white lines growing (or convering) from the point where the mouth wall (sorry, I'm not exactly an English native speaker) touch the teeth.

L

Linoge

Couldn't edit last message to add an update (I think there are several problems with the webpage -> down for details).

Tomorrow I'm going to a dentist, still don't know whom.

There is this one who works in the same consultory than my orthodontist (she was recommended by the head of the Odontology School back at the ULA - Universidad de Los Andes - one of the best universities here) and a friend's mother who seems to have some experience diagnosing oral cancer and who I've not yet seen but I kinda trust her more. Maybe I'll end up going to both as to get different - or the same - opinion (let's hope it is a good one) ^^.

As far as it goes, I've made my own research and seems like the white lines could be an infection. Funny thing is infections get you cancer (as most of the things nowadays if you care to read the small letters).

So, tomorrow I'll update once more for anyone interested and make up a good documentation of the case :-D.

As per the website problems. You might have noticed that when certains pages load there is some unstyled letters appearing at the top, these are PHP problems. Most of what I've seen are related to functions relating to Regular Expressions. I'll post this under the right category if there's one :). At least for me, the edit post page is not working.

L

Linoge

So, an update, yesterday I went to someone I met a long time ago - Gabriela. My friend's mother was on vacation and my usual doctor (the orthodontist) said I had to go to a periodontist.

Gabriela, whom I think is a periodontist (never asked if she was or was not) sent me over to do a panoramic X-Ray so we could confirm or disregard the theory that it was an spicule. However she was later unable to attend me and while seeking someone to take a look a the X-Ray I was given a free consult by some intrigued dentist (will have to send him a gift ^^).

He cleaned up a bit the area and said it could be an infection but that I was to keep my dental hygiene to the max these two days and seek help of a periodontist should the problem persist.

I'm going tomorrow to Gabriela's consultory again and will update again accordingly.