• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Safe to be alone after extractions and fillings?

A

Agabus

I have been terrified of the dentist since I had bad experiences as a child. I'm now 36 and am going back for the first time in about 15 years. I also am getting over a general fear of teeth (at one point so bad that a toothbrush near my mouth made me throw up). While I've been wanting to get control of this for a while, a recent run of sinus infections led me to the dentist's chair a lot faster than I wanted (which might be for the best?). They are a wonderful staff and are working with me but the state of my teeth means that Friday I'm due for three extractions and six fillings at once (I'll be drugged and won't remember it they say). That's scary enough but the next day my wife and daughter are leaving for five weeks to visit with her parents in another state (the dentist worked me in as they could while my wife - my rock - was still in town).

I'm more than a bit anxious about going it alone 24 hours afterwards, even though the dentist says I'll be all right. I'm just wondering how much pain am I in for? Are there things to be hyper-aware of being alone after having so much done? My parents are in town but they can be more of a hindrance than a help at times so I am pretty much all alone during this healing time.

I think you should be ok. Just try to be sure that you have plenty of soft foods as well as ice packs and any medication you might want before your wife leaves as you may not feel like you want to leave the house for a couple of days.

Hmmm.

Do do you have any friends in town? A fairly friendly neighbor? An especially understanding coworker?

If no, do you have any out of town friends/family?

Hi Agabus,

from the medical point of view you will be safe - you won‘t be under drugs anymore, fillings might need a bit to settle but that‘s not really pain and three extractions are not too much. So as FearfulInMA suggest, with soft food, ice pacs and painkillers you will be fine. The only thing to consider, and you are the only one who knows the answer here, is how well you generally cope 24h after a stressfull event and if you need someone to be with you to support you emotionally or something like that.

Happy to hear that you have a great dental team, sounds like they will take care of you well :)

Back