• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Salt water rinse or no after extraction?

M

MountainMama

The oral surgeon told me I could do a salt water rinse after 2 days to help promote healing.
It has been 3 days now. I have a place where the stitches opened up and there is a small red spot...not bleeding but looks raw and the pain has increased a little.

Would it be helpful or harmful to do a salt water rinse? If there is an open area, and I had bone grafting material put in, would the salt water rinse disloge clotting, or would it help close it up? I am hesitant to do the rinse and make it worse, since I am still in the range for dry socket. I had that with my wisdom teeth surgery and it was awful.

Of course it happens on the weekend when I can't call and ask.

A gentle salt-water rinse won't hurt and won't be enough to dislodge a clot. Dry socket can happen randomly, but the risk factors involve continued suction, like using a straw for every drink or smoking regularly. Rinsing won't increase your chances. And it is very soothing and will help keep you infection-free.

You don't have to swirl the water aggressively, or gurgle. Just do it gently, keeping the water in your mouth for a while. :)

Back