• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Salt water rinsing

Susanne

Susanne

Does anyone find salt water rinses to be more irritating than helpful or soothing? Is there a trick to making them the right way so they actually help instead of causing more irritation?

They can be irritating if you use too much salt. There is a formula (that I can never remember) of the ratio of salt and water. It also helps to stir the mixture well to dissolve the salt.

I usually mix salt and baking soda with warm water, instead of just making plain salt water. I find this is more soothing and offers more relief than salt water alone.

The best mix I've found is half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of baking soda in a small glass of warm water, then stirring it for a little bit before using it. Using more baking soda than salt helps take the sting out of the salt water. Hope this helps. :)

There is a formula (that I can never remember) of the ratio of salt and water.

It should be 0.9% of salt. For a cup of water, it would be about one-half teaspoon of salt. :)

Back