• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Same Fear, Different Appointment...

Officially 3 days left, and having a mini panic attack. MIL has an appointment with FIL (father in law) for a heart cath on Wednesday, and he might be in the hospital overnight. She asked me if Hubby's grandmother can take me if she can't. I feel like screaming. It is in the city, so I almost cannot drive it alone, especially if I take my anti-anxiety medication, so someone would have to take me. And MIL is the only one besides Hubby that I trust in that situation. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they can't take you I don't think its unreasonable to ask to reschedule the appointment. Shouldn't be an issue if you give 24-48 hours notice.

I've rescheduled it 2 times already. I don't really want to prolong the anxiety.

Collegebound.. agh sorry to hear of that.. I agree with Sol, especially being a patient care coordinator even 24 hours is good notice for the clinic I work for..hope you can get in soon on a day your MIL can take you. It is worth doing it how you feel a peace with. Hope all goes with with your FIL.

But how should I cope if his grandmother does take me? What do I say? What do I do?

Thats a hard one if you don't know her.. wow.. maybe if the MIL is nice the grandma will be good for it too. wishing you all the best to go with what you have most peace with . I can so understand you not wanting to wait too.. just to want to get it finally done.. hope it all works out. definately let us know... sorry not too much help but my thoughts are with you and wishing the best!!

I like his grandmother, but I am a very private woman and a proud woman, so showing people weakness is not easy for me. MIL said she might be able to take me. Idk.

I so hear you Collegebound. I'm also a very private person when it comes to dental, honestly not even my best friends I'd want with, well other than maybe one that is living in another country but understands me completely. She is probably the only one I would let come with me. Only one time I let my dad bring me to an oral surgery appt when I was an adult because I was on Lorazepam and didn't want to drive on it . but he stayed in the waiting room and I still had my privacy in the actual procedure. I know some people really prefer to go with others and have the company. I would do whatever makes you comfortable and give yourself permission to change your mind as much as you have the option to.

I am taking klonopin, so I'll have to let someone drive. I am kind of shy, and so prancing around medicine-drunk and anxiety driven in front of someone who only knows me a little bit seems scary. I can't cancel because it all depends on FIL's appointment Wednesday. If the grandma were to take me, she would have to know the full extent of my crazy. I don't volunteer that info to people. I don't know.

The count down has been reset. I rescheduled my cleaning for the 18th. I appreciate all your thoughts and good vibes. I just couldn't do it if MIL was not there.

We are 2 days out from Doomsday. Freaking out!

Hang in there! You can do this, I know you can.

Day before. Already asked MIL to reschedule, she said no. And it will be ok. I don't think so. My depression has been high lately, and didn't care about much, and even less about my teeth. I brushed them today and it was bad. My gums were bleeding and there were peices of food from my braces. Legit freaking out.

Can't sleep. Too scared. I just know I'll have bad dreams. Freaking out.

I am thinking of you both! I know the night before you just think overtime. Its so easy too. :grouphug::grouphug:

How did it go??? I hope everything went smoothly and much better than expected!

Back