• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

scared and ashamed to go to dentist

T

tray43

hello im 43 and since the age off 24 after having wisdom teath removed and bad experience while pregnant ...i visited the dentist far less than i should i was put off by the fact every time i went i saw different dentist ..and the last one i went to see was very hurtfull saying by looking at my gums he could see i was going to need false teath and said to go and think about it told me to fill in health form he made me feel like i was on hard drugs and felt like he couldnt be bothered at this time i had my gumline there not much receding no xray wass done at that visit that was last time i went 3 yearss ago and one by one ive lost a tooth all my front bottom teath are loose and i am so ashamed of my self i cant speek properly eat properly i dont want to go out anymore ive emailed local dentist with no replys at all currently nhs as not in work at present im depressed im frightened i know ive lost my teeth but cant find a dentist who will not judge me for it after all its me seeking help like i would a gp ..please someone outhere help me find someone soon cause i cant live like this no more :confused:

Hi,
You can never justify an offensive behavior of a dentist. There a few dentists who are simply offensive persons (luckily only a few), think of themselves as half-gods and don't care much about other's feelings. From these you should stay away.
The vast majority of dentists are ok people, meaning people whom you can communicate with and build a relationship. The fact that you had to switch dentists does not allow building a fruitful relationship and mutual trust.

That's a tricky one, no doubt, but I would advise you to invest the time and effort by asking people you know and trust how is their dentist, is he/she suitable for people who are scared of the dentist. First hand reccomandations are the best way to find such a dentist. No need for sedative drugs, hypnosis or other methods, just a good and positive human connection.
If the finance aspect is an issue you an also go to a dental school. If you consider this track take in mind that the appointments are longer, because the students have less experience and need to show every step of the treatment to their teachers, so you pay less with money and more with your time. Since their work is constantly being supervised by top dentists you can be certain that the end result will be good.
All the best.

hi its not a needle thing with me im ashamed off how ive let my teath go and yes need to do my homework on dentist im not comfortable with a nurse present and the dentist i need to find shouldnt judge me the way he did or make the wrong call off how it happened just want to it sorted thankyou so much for the reply and im nhs at the moment and dont have to pay

Wonderful. You are stating specific practical and doable needs. Surely within the NHS you will find the right dentist. :)