• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared and frightened

C

Chevez

Hello everyone from Wales, UK

I am sorry to trouble you I’m looking for some support or advice if possible please. I have bad teeth, I have fillings some back teeth are missing at the moment eating talking is fine. After years of not looking after them properly I decided to take the plunge two years ago and get to a Dentist for first time in 10 years had a lot of work including the above done. The dentist said you are close to getting them all removed this has always been in the back of my mind and I have improved my oral care massively and make sure my son looks after his teeth correctly. Due to Covid my Dentist is not taking any non emergencies appointments I have booked to go to another Dentist for a check up and scale and clean I’m so terrified about having full dentures as I work in a contact centre and I have been with a new partner less then a year I fear if this happens my world will collapse I think about it all the time my appointment is on Wednesday would you advise speaking to the Dentist before hand just to advise about the past and my anxiety and what is it really like having dentures-at a young age do people know? How has your partner reacted?

Thank you for any responses

Hello everyone from Wales, UK

I am sorry to trouble you I’m looking for some support or advice if possible please. I have bad teeth, I have fillings some back teeth are missing at the moment eating talking is fine. After years of not looking after them properly I decided to take the plunge two years ago and get to a Dentist for first time in 10 years had a lot of work including the above done. The dentist said you are close to getting them all removed this has always been in the back of my mind and I have improved my oral care massively and make sure my son looks after his teeth correctly. Due to Covid my Dentist is not taking any non emergencies appointments I have booked to go to another Dentist for a check up and scale and clean I’m so terrified about having full dentures as I work in a contact centre and I have been with a new partner less then a year I fear if this happens my world will collapse I think about it all the time my appointment is on Wednesday would you advise speaking to the Dentist beforehand just to advise about the past and my anxiety and what is it really like having dentures-at a young age do people know? How has your partner reacted?

Thank you for any responses

Hello. It’s no trouble at all. That's what we are all here for. To support each other though this and offer advice as we can based on our experiences. So I can’t help with the denture questions but I do know there recently has been a few similar posts you maybe able to browse or join.

In relation to seeing a new dentist, I personally find it helpful to explain to the dentist that I’m very anxious before hand or at least when I get there. I find it just seems to help them be a bit more patient and explain things to me in an easier less scarily sounding way.

Also well done on just taking the steps to go back to the dentist and facing this now!

Thank you for your lovely words ! I will see if I can have a chat before sitting down. I have probably nearly caused the website to crash how many times I have been on the site lol ! Just so gut wrenching having it this week just hope I don’t end up with full dentures partials dentures I can live with and accept but the thought of having no real teeth and co workers or friends noticing I have dentures scares me massively!

Thank you for your lovely words ! I will see if I can have a chat before sitting down. I have probably nearly caused the website to crash how many times I have been on the site lol ! Just so gut wrenching having it this week just hope I don’t end up with full dentures partials dentures I can live with and accept but the thought of having no real teeth and co workers or friends noticing I have dentures scares me massively!

Aww I used to be like that, but never actually posted myself for ages. Just skulked around looking for others to ask similar questions hehe ?. So well done for reaching out! Honestly remember it’s your decision at the dentist they can’t make you do anything you don’t want to and you maybe worrying you need more done than you actually do. Also on another note these days they are so much more advanced I think it’s actually quite hard to tell.

? I’m hoping that is the case ! I know logic says and research says the nhs in the uk would want you to keep your teeth then getting dentures. Just anxty is the worst if I wasn’t worrying about this it would be something else

? I’m hoping that is the case ! I know logic says and research says the nhs in the uk would want you to keep your teeth then getting dentures. Just anxty is the worst if I wasn’t worrying about this it would be something else

No definitely I understand. I’m terrible at overthinking and worry about the worst case scenarios. Also dentistry has come along way and there are often many options before extraction.

Is there anything you can do that may help you to stay calmer before you appointment?

And happy to message or answer any more questions etc

Hi Chevez ?, well done for making an appointment! Not sure if you've seen this yet, but we have a Dental Fears Patient Form on our downloads page? If you are worried about feeling tongue-tied on the day, you could fill in the form and give it to your dentist.

Best of luck for Wednesday ??

I go tomorrow and I am feeling many of the same things you are. I just keep telling myself that it is my choice and technology has come so far. I am pretty sure that dentists will do everything to help us keep our teeth. I am trying to get excited. My hubby told me maybe I could investigate Invisalign to help straighten my bottom teeth once I get my wisdom teeth and gums straightened out. My teeth do not feel wobbly or loose so hoping my gums are repairable. Best of luck.

No definitely I understand. I’m terrible at overthinking and worry about the worst case scenarios. Also dentistry has come along way and there are often many options before extraction.

Is there anything you can do that may help you to stay calmer before you appointment?

And happy to message or answer any more questions etc

Thank you I really do appreciate you responses lucky enough is at 10am so pretty early in the morning I got a positive playlist for the drive home might treat myself to something and keep it in the car

I go tomorrow and I am feeling many of the same things you are. I just keep telling myself that it is my choice and technology has come so far. I am pretty sure that dentists will do everything to help us keep our teeth. I am trying to get excited. My hubby told me maybe I could investigate Invisalign to help straighten my bottom teeth once I get my wisdom teeth and gums straightened out. My teeth do not feel wobbly or loose so hoping my gums are repairable. Best of luck.

As everyone says we doing the right thing by going to the appointment! I feel sick just writing this ? but we got to stay strong and keep our appointment definitely! Technology is amazing keep me posted on your appointment all the best !

As everyone says we doing the right thing by going to the appointment! I feel sick just writing this ? but we got to stay strong and keep our appointment definitely! Technology is amazing keep me posted on your appointment all the best !

I just found out my friend is a dentist and accepts my insurance. I am canceling with the new office as they have several bad reviews. My friend has great reviews and I trust her. I feel a lot better!

Aw excellent news ! when is your new appointment?

Aw excellent news ! when is your new appointment?

I have to call today. She is out of town this week so at the earliest it will be next week.

I have to call today. She is out of town this week so at the earliest it will be next week.

Keep me posted ! I am in at 10:05 am tomorrow soon as I’m out I send you a message you ! Keep calm and carry on ?

Ugh so my friend’s office doesn’t use our insurance. Back to the drawing board. I am going to try a sedation place I think.

Ugh so my friend’s office doesn’t use our insurance. Back to the drawing board. I am going to try a sedation place I think.

Before you go for sedation, find a decent normal dentist and get your doctor to prescribe diazepam. Its amazing and works very well!

I am so annoyed with our insurance. No one takes it except the place where myself, my spouse and many of my friends have had terrible experiences. Back to the drawing board. I may have to wait until open enrollment and change our plan. Then, look for a new dentist.

I really do feel bad for you Americans and your health system! The NHS is not perfect but at least it won’t bankrupt you and you get to choose in the majority of cases ! Just outside waiting in my car so scared and nervous got some positive music on though ? wish me luck !

Just got back all good no work is needed ! So much more relaxed !

Just got back all good no work is needed ! So much more relaxed !
That’s great news!!! After all was said and done, I had to call to change dentists and it won’t take effect until 5/1. So now appointment will be in May.

Back