• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared at this final step

W

Wolfsrule18

In 2 weeks I am getting the crowns on my implants. I’ve been nothing but excited, until now. As it looms ever closer I’m getting scared and don’t even know why! It’s been 2 years since this all started. Lost 20 something teeth in 2017, almost died of anaphylactic shock during that surgery. Fixed the 9 remaining. Got 10 implants September 2018, 6 months later got the healing abutments, had to have one tooth removed, had first impressions, then in July of this year had final impressions and new abutments placed. After ALL that I don’t understand why I’m scared. I guess in a weird way I’ve become so comfortable the past 2 years with limited teeth..I want to be excited again!

Hi,

There is a very thin line between fear and excitement, even an overlap I would say.

Wolfsrule..

You have been through so much... what a mix of emotions. Im not even sure what to say, but really happy for you that you are near to the end of this journey and hope that the crowns for the implants will be just right and you will feel a joy and relief once you get them in. That for all that it is to a great completion.. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this!!

Wolfsrule..

You have been through so much... what a mix of emotions. Im not even sure what to say, but really happy for you that you are near to the end of this journey and hope that the crowns for the implants will be just right and you will feel a joy and relief once you get them in. That for all that it is to a great completion.. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this!!

Thank you! It is a huge relief this chapter is almost over..but one more hurdle first.

Hi Wolfsrule18,

nice to read of you again. I think that „big events“, even the positive ones are always scary a bit (probably due to the thin line as Dr.Daniel said. I also think that any change provokes anxiety as well, as humans love familiarity and routines. When it comes to dental stuff, I know anxiety is often unpredictable and just at the moment you thought you‘re past the fear, it arises again.

So for now, the best approach might be to accept the anxiety and let it be.Maybe there are things you enjoy doing or something that can distract you in the two weeks?By the way, anxiety is also something very unstable so the fact you are having it now doesn‘t mean you will have it for the next two weeks.

Hi Wolfsrule18,

nice to read of you again. I think that „big events“, even the positive ones are always scary a bit (probably due to the thin line as Dr.Daniel said. I also think that any change provokes anxiety as well, as humans love familiarity and routines. When it comes to dental stuff, I know anxiety is often unpredictable and just at the moment you thought you‘re past the fear, it arises again.

So for now, the best approach might be to accept the anxiety and let it be.Maybe there are things you enjoy doing or something that can distract you in the two weeks?By the way, anxiety is also something very unstable so the fact you are having it now doesn‘t mean you will have it for the next two weeks.

Thanks! I have been distracting myself by focusing on things that make me happy. I think Daniel was so right about that fine line because I bounce between being scared and being excited.

In 2 weeks I am getting the crowns on my implants. I’ve been nothing but excited, until now. As it looms ever closer I’m getting scared and don’t even know why! It’s been 2 years since this all started. Lost 20 something teeth in 2017, almost died of anaphylactic shock during that surgery. Fixed the 9 remaining. Got 10 implants September 2018, 6 months later got the healing abutments, had to have one tooth removed, had first impressions, then in July of this year had final impressions and new abutments placed. After ALL that I don’t understand why I’m scared. I guess in a weird way I’ve become so comfortable the past 2 years with limited teeth..I want to be excited again!
Like said above you've been through a lot+it's understandable but your nearly done (somewhere id love to be) I'm still scared every time I have an appointment don't think that will change,but if my situation hadn't been dragged out so long I wouldn't be feeling as bad as I do. Hope it goes well+you like the final result.

Got a call this morning they cancelled my appointment and are trying to reschedule. I have been in another state visiting family and cancelled all my Halloween plans and spent $300 in plane tickets to make it back in time and now this. I feel like this is never gonna end.

Oh no, what a bummer, particularly with all those adjustments you made to be able to get to the appointment! :( when is your new appointment?

Oh no, what a bummer, particularly with all those adjustments you made to be able to get to the appointment! :( when is your new appointment?
They don’t have one yet. She said she will call me back today or tomorrow (I really hope not tomorrow). I made this appointment in the beginning of September...and this 8 days before..

Just called again and they said they will contact me tomorrow. I’m super stressed out.

Now I’m just livid. Got an automated call saying the rescheduled me for the 23rd at 10am. I TOLD THEM I couldn’t take that appointment because my flight back is on the 24th and there is no flights that get in before 10am on the 23rd if I were to change it. Can’t call till tomorrow either. Ugh

Okay after a very stressful day and morning this morning going back and forth they fit me in on the 30th right after lunch break. HUGE relief. Don’t have to reschedule any flights.

Tonight I find myself full of panic attacks. In some ways I just wish it was the 30th already so I could get it over with! In other ways I’m in no hurry

The anxiety before appointments is the worst. Glad they were able to change your appointment to something that works for you. Wishing you the best.

Tonight I find myself full of panic attacks. In some ways I just wish it was the 30th already so I could get it over with! In other ways I’m in no hurry

This doesn't sound like fun. Sending you well wishes, may the 30th come soon:clover:

Sending you well wishes. I am sure you will be fine!

Thinking of you Wolfsrule!!! :grouphug: Let us know how it goes!

Back