• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Scared College Student Seeks Dental Advice About Brushing

J

js0141094

Hell, I'm a nineteen year old college student and I am terrified. I have had checkups once a year until I turned eighteen, and had been told I had minor gingivitis. I brushed everyday, twice a day, until I was about thirteen or fourteen, and then got lost. I stopped brushing every day. I maybe brushed, once a month, twice a month, at the most maybe once a week. Until now I have really only brushed once in a while period. I DON'T seek to lose my teeth, and I only have gingivitis. I just want to know whether or not it's to late to save my teeth, and that if I start brushing every day, twice daily, for now on, will I be okay?

Yourbigpalal83

Yourbigpalal83

The only time its too late is when they pull the last one from your mouth. I grew up not having brushed my teeth. Infact, if i brushed my teeth 100 times from when i was a child to up untill a few years ago, that was alot. Infact i was sure my teeth were doomed. But i started brushing and flossing, dont eat alot of sugar and carbs, and my checkups for the past 5 years have been cavity free (after i got some needed fillings done when i first started going for my twice yearly checkups).

Point is, your teeth, are most likely in alot better condition you give yourself credit for. My advice..go get a checkup, get the work that needs to be done done, brush and floss as you should, and you should be just fine.

J

js0141094

The only time its too late is when they pull the last one from your mouth. I grew up not having brushed my teeth. Infact, if i brushed my teeth 100 times from when i was a child to up untill a few years ago, that was alot. Infact i was sure my teeth were doomed. But i started brushing and flossing, dont eat alot of sugar and carbs, and my checkups for the past 5 years have been cavity free (after i got some needed fillings done when i first started going for my twice yearly checkups).

Point is, your teeth, are most likely in alot better condition you give yourself credit for. My advice..go get a checkup, get the work that needs to be done done, brush and floss as you should, and you should be just fine.
Thank you, I appreciate your guidance. I feel better now about the first checkup I've had in about a year an a half now. I just want to take as good care of my teeth as possible.