• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared: first ever hygenist appointment

T

tayl123

So I have gingivitis on my front lower gums and I've been told that I'll need to go to the hygienist every 3 months because of this :shame:. I'm so ashamed. The new dentist just seemed to give me a series of condescending lectures and spoke at me about the treatment I need the entire appointment. I didn't even feel comfortable to tell him that I'm actually really anxious.

I've never been to a hygienist before and I'm really worried that he will just be judgemental over the state of my teeth for my age - my extended hygienist appointment is at the end of the week :( . Can anyone please share their experiences with me about what happens at a hygienist appointment? Will there be a nurse too? Will it hurt?

All the dentist said was that he'll go over flossing and do a fluoride treatment. I think I'm so anxious because I hate the not knowing/having no control and sitting on that chair having no idea what is happening. I know my teeth are bad but that's why I went to a private dentist in the first place. My heart racing just at the thought of having a similar experience with the dentist and 40 minutes is a long time...

Hi there

Firstly lets get this out of the way, you should quite rightly feel proud of he fact that you have gone, made and kept that appointment, that takes real guts so much Kudos to you for that :respect::respect:

Secondly, if that is how the dentists attitude to you was, I would be looking for another dentist, please remember that you are the customer, they are providing a service and that may have been how dentists behaved in the 70s and 80s it's not the way most of them behave today. There are lots and lots of caring, non-judgmental dentists out there who will be more than willing to work with you as a partnership to get you to where you need to be dentally, I have experienced the same shoddy treatment by a dentist so enough was enough, I fired them and went out and found myself one of the best dentists in the business.

A good dentist will never lecture or scold his or her patients :mad: That kind of attitude is not typical and well out of order, please don't put up with it or it could make your fears worse.

Onto the Hygienist appointment; it very much depends upon each person but what will normally happen is that the hygienist (in the UK there is usually a nurse or assistant helping), will take a look at the gums and make measurements of gum attachment, then afterwards the hygienist will use an ultrasonic scaler to remove the hard deposits from the teeth and below the gumline, this gets rid of the hard scale that retains bacteria that can cause damage to the gums etc. The Hygienist will also show you how to clean the teeth including in between using floss and/or little interdental brushes.

The whole thing feels a little weird but is not normally painful but if it becomes uncomfortable let the hygienist know as there are things that can be done to make you comfortable.

I very much hope you get on OK, Gingivitis is normally something that can be reversed with professional cleanings and a good home care regime (personally I prefer an Electric brush, works great for me :)).

If you need to ask any questions please feel free to do so.

Kind Regards

Thank you spike 1969! :)

I certainly don't feel very courageous at the moment because I'm absolutely freaking out and my appointment isn't until Friday morning... I know it's pathetic as it's not like I'm getting major work done but I can't stop worrying about it! I HATE when your sat all the way back feeling powerless and judged when two people are staring into my mouth and having no idea what's going to happen. I always tense up and can hardly get a word out so I never usually even mention my fears to the dentist though I'm sure that's it's kinda obvious.

You're probably right though I was so anxious about seeing a new dentist in the first place. I'm not sure if I could go through all of that again any time soon. I was shaking before I even got in the building so goodness know how I will react on Friday because my anxiety levels are a lot worse then before.

Can I ask, do they sometimes numb you up with a needle? I heard the dentist mutter to the nurse about a note to the hygienist and he mentioned that anaesthetic can be used "if required". I don't like not knowing what is going to happen ha!

oh my, I do apologise for being such a moan...

That's no problem, feel free to vent as that's what the Forum is here for :)

They Sometimes do use a needle for deep cleaning, I was offered it once but to be honest I don't feel it, they also use topical anaesthetic (numbing gel that is placed onto the area using a Q Tip or cotton bud (in Europe).

As with most things dental, the anticipation is always the worst part, once you get through it you feel amazing!

I would certainly consider looking at interviewing another dentist though ;)

hHope it all goes well, I'm sure you will be just fine:)

Hi.

I'm sorry you're struggling right now. I can relate to the fear and anxiety.

I've found a dentist who's good with phobic patients who I really like. I've had sensitive teeth and gums for years and finally got up the courage to ask my current dentist about it.

Cleanings aren't supposed to be painful, with the exception of deep cleanings because they clean under the gums.

For me cleanings are always painful, but that's because of my own individual dental problems. If you feel like you want a numbing shot just ask. They can also give you a numbing gel, in addition. I asked my dentist to arrange for it for all of my cleanings and he said that it was fine.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I know how the anxiety beforehand can be the worst part of it though.

Good luck.

JJ

Thank you both for the support.

You're right it wasn't as bad - the hygienist was actually really nice.

it was painful in parts and my worst fear was confirmed as my gums are a lot lot worse than the dentist was implying, I've got 8mm pockets :( it's really freaked me out.