• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a dental problems forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared for my next visit . Don’t know what to expect

A

Alexistired

I’ve written on this forum countless times due to my never ending teeth issues . Well recently I’ve had an issue on one of my quite recent fillings that - my dentist says is a minor issue .
Basically a tiny part of the filling detached (bonding issues?) and she’s tried to reattach it at least twice but unsuccessfully . Eating on that tooth feels annoying - nothing super painful - but quite annoying and there’s a tiny bit of pain and discomfort .

She’s tried to polish it ecc but wasn’t successful . I still feel quite a bit of discomfort if I eat on that tooth but thankfully I only feel discomfort where the filling part detached not the entire tooth.

I have an appointment in two days idk what to expect . What do you think my dentist is gonna attempt now ? How can she fix this annoying disturbance ? I asked if there was something wrong like a cavity or something but she said NO and to relax .
I hate going to the dentist over and over again it’s been a long time . Any dentist on here knows what she might attempt next time we meet ?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Can't be sure without looking at it. At worst replace the whole thing and do it again. Maybe cut away a little bit of the old filling to give a bit more bulk to the missing piece and hence strength.

A

Alexistired

Can't be sure without looking at it. At worst replace the whole thing and do it again. Maybe cut away a little bit of the old filling to give a bit more bulk to the missing piece and hence strength.
It’s a tiny piece in between two teeth . Thankfully doesn’t concern the entire filling which is huge and very deep and covers the entire tooth and it’s right on the nerve so . It’s just a piece in between two teeth . Do you think she can just redo that ? I can send a picture if you want .

A

Alexistired

Here’s a pic

Attachments

• 1EC81581-B22B-4500-BA49-19FC3B5985C1.jpeg
    1EC81581-B22B-4500-BA49-19FC3B5985C1.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 10
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Doesn't help much really, sorry. Still the same choices for the dentist, replace or modify :)

A

Alexistired

@Gordon so update, I told her it still hurts when I chew . My dentist decided to perform an X RAY at this point , and the scan was clear . Apparently there’s nothing wrong with it . She spent a lot of time analyzing it too . She thinks maybe it’s inflamed because of my bruxism (although it’s not for sure I have it) I still don’t believe that’s the cause . What could be causing this annoying feeling ? Once again there are no answers and once again I have an issue that they don’t know how to solve . :( I don’t think she’s planning on redoing it either but I might just ask … anyways could it be possible that a cavity wouldn’t show up from the outside / and neither on the scan ? Or that’s not possible ? I am getting very worried

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Not at all likely to be a missed cavity, if they've spent that long looking at it as well as taking x-rays.
It's back to a bonding failure, or else the cavity isn't deep enough to allow sufficient strength of material for your bite. Which brings us back around again...

A

Alexistired

Not at all likely to be a missed cavity, if they've spent that long looking at it as well as taking x-rays.
It's back to a bonding failure, or else the cavity isn't deep enough to allow sufficient strength of material for your bite. Which brings us back around again...
Ok that was helpful ! I was just worried that it could be something serious . I have other visits booked so I’ll update this once I have more answers or an update .