• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared! In Pain! Agoraphobic! HELP!

A

agoraphobiasucks

hello, please excuse my horrible typing it is all i can do right now to think enough to type this! but i am desperate im 22 and i have 6 teeth that the enamel is coming off 4 teeth in the back 2 wisdom teeth and 2 molars right in front of the wisdom teeth that are broken and possibly infected! i am in pain earlier it was to the point i felt like i was going to black out! i've had 8 appointments and can't make it to any one them i have a hard time leaving my house and then i add the anxiety of the dentist too it sucks! i have kolonopin 2mgs i take 1mg when i am getting ready to go but i still am not able to mentally get my self ready to go if that makes sense suggestions please and again sorry for the bad typing im in severe pain and advil or asprin isn't working i've been like this for the last 2 months i need help!

First of all you are not alone.

I am 24 and am too severely agoraphobic at certain times of the month when my seizures (I have seizure disorder) flare up. For some reason whenever my seizures are in full throttle, I become agoraphobic. I too have missed appointments but fortunately you have a dentist who did not lose his patience with you so this is very good. This shows he has compassion for your situation and we need more doctors like that! My dentist is very compassionate too much not so much his staff-- dentist's office told me if I cancel one more time, they will discharge me, even though they are a specialty group of professionals for patients with special needs, and I only canceled twice.

My best advice is to ask your dentist to prescribe you a Halcion just to get you there. Halcion is like Klonopin but it works in such a way that you will be relaxed and probably sleep the way there, and by the time you wake up, your appointment will probably have been over. It's a very mild form of conscious sedation. Do you think you can ask your dentist for that?

Also, as an agoraphobic, I always have my "safe person" come with me. Because my dentist office is far away, it makes it that much more stressful for mme, so we have planned out places we can stop and turn around if absolutely necessary, or places to just stop and take a moment to recuperate.

In the meantime if you have an abscess try to see if you can get an antibiotic. When I had mine, I let it go for three months and was on so many antibiotics.....but after the tooth was removed, I never had to worry about it again. Never forget that! Once your abscessed teeth are gone, they will never hurt you again. If you get them root canaled, then you still won't have to worry.
Please keep us updated!

Last edited:
Back