• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared of Needles / Fillings - Laser Options in Wales?

J

Jennie

Hello all,

I'm in need of some advice - I need 3 fillings, I've needed these doing for about 10 years, but I've had a run of bad luck with dentists and a horrid fear of needles / injections.

Thankfully I've had little pain in my teeth, mainly just before I have a cold or go to the dentist (even my teeth fear her!), however my main cavity (at the back, on the bottom) started hurting last night. Just a pulse of mild-ish pain every few hours. It went away but now a few teeth ache on the side, though this could be as I've gotten myself into a state.

I'm really nervous, terrified of needles and really don't want a regular filling.
I've heard about lasers to avoid injections and drilling, but am struggling to find a dentist who uses them for anything other than cosmetics. Then I heard about something which can re-grow (?) the minerals so a filling wouldn't be needed.

When I mentioned lasers to my current dentist she looked confused and laughed at me as if I was making it up. This is the same dentist who doesn't seem to perform a proper examination - Just a quick look with a mirror, no pokey thing, and she doesn't check gums, cheeks or bite.

I previous tried to have the work done with a sedation (mask over nose), but as soon as the mask went on I felt really unwell and had to leave.

Can anyone advise how I can find a decent dentist who can deal with me and my issues. I'm in West Wales. I'm in complete despair today :shame:

Hello Jennie,

I think you are looking for a dentist who might have a WATERLASE which is quite an expensive piece of equipment so you will have a hard time finding a dentist who owns one.

We do treat many patients with needle phobias with Inhalation Sedation, which relaxes them whilst we are doing the numbing up process. If that didn't work for you then you should consider some hypnotherapy as your next option.

I hope that helps!

Back