• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared of needles

Z

zellygurl39

EXTREME needle phobia, PLEASE HELP!

I have a MAJOR phobia of needles. I am in need of wisdom teeth removal surgery. I have tried 3 times but jumped out of the chair when the IV part came. I am thinking about having oral conscious sedation. I believe this way I would be relaxed enough to get the shots in the mouth without having to go through the IV process. Has anyone had this done? Does anyone think this would be an option?

PS: I have tried numbing cream for my arm and it didn't help. I have a serious phobia. I am seeking medical treatment but it isn't helping.

----
I really would like to avoid the IV process together. I believe the thought of knowing I am going to get an IV is what kills me. Today I was given 20mg of Valium, laughing gas and numbing cream and still coulnd't get the procedure. Doctors really do not see to care. They often yell at me and tell me, I am wasting there time. I don't know why. I ALWAYS ask if they handle cases of needle phobia. I am ALWAYS honest about my fears. I wish they would listen. My insurence covers the whole surgey so everyone is willing to do it but I just can't make it through. I am thinking oral sedation will be best but I don't know anyone who has done that.

Last edited:
You should definatly look for a surgon that uses the STA Wand instead of an oldfashioned syringe. That way you can probebly get bye on an oral sedative and I promise you that you won't fell the local going in!

the STA Wand is simply put a gift to all needle phobics.

You should definatly look for a surgon that uses the STA Wand instead of an oldfashioned syringe. That way you can probebly get bye on an oral sedative and I promise you that you won't fell the local going in!

the STA Wand is simply put a gift to all needle phobics.

I have been looking for oral surgerons with it but haven't had any luck!

I'm not sure the wand is approrpiate for a wisdom tooth extraction.

Ask the surgeon to prescribe oral sedation as a pre-sedation before the IV. The last three times I've seen the surgeon or endodontist I've had Halcion or Valium before I left home and then nitrous when I got to the office on top of that and then I didn't care about the IV at all.

I've also had oral sedation with nitrous that knocked me right out- the combination worked great. The trick is getting the right amount of oral sedation, so if you take one and it's not enough, you have to make sure the surgeon is ok with you taking another. The IV, once in, is wonderful and much easier for the sedationist to control your level of comfort.

rp

I'm not sure the wand is approrpiate for a wisdom tooth extraction.

Ask the surgeon to prescribe oral sedation as a pre-sedation before the IV. The last three times I've seen the surgeon or endodontist I've had Halcion or Valium before I left home and then nitrous when I got to the office on top of that and then I didn't care about the IV at all.

I've also had oral sedation with nitrous that knocked me right out- the combination worked great. The trick is getting the right amount of oral sedation, so if you take one and it's not enough, you have to make sure the surgeon is ok with you taking another. The IV, once in, is wonderful and much easier for the sedationist to control your level of comfort.

rp

Thanks RP. I am seeing a new doctor on Monday. I am going to be honest with her and see what she says.

I agree with RP. Look I have all my dental treatment with just local and a nice dentist, no sedation whatsoever. But wisdom teeth, that was hospital GA.
If several surgeons have said you need i/v sedation (GA alternative) than you probably do, if the extractions are at all complex/impacted.

Your fear seems to be the i/v and not dental injections in the mouth.???? It's true that dental injections can be painfree but you may need a lot of them to get numb enough for wisdom tooth surgery and some may be in the more awkward positions to do painlessly if dentist doesn't have excellent technique (not all do by any means). One little scratch (sedated if you want first) from an i/v going in, should be the least of your worries....I also don't get why numbing cream wouldn't work for i/v insertion, it should do if put on long enough (hours) beforehand, it is routinely used in UK for kids undergoing surgery. Nitrous while being given the i/v is also another option.

If your wisdom teeth are at all impacted and you are a nervous patient, I wouldn't recommend going with just local. In fact they may not be willling to do it this way. Some people otherwise reasonably comfortable with dentistry do report feeling traumatised and invaded by having multiple wisdom teeth extractions with local fully awake with no sedation on board.
So this would only be worth trying (assuming surgeon willing) doing if your main fear was sedation/GA and even then you could regret it.
Let's face it the surgeon is the one who has to do this procedure to you so they are best in a position to advise how to make it as calm an event as possible for you, although they should address your concerns and certainly shouldn't be yelling at you. Some time spent beforehand discussing how they can help you accept an i/v would have been time well spent on their part.
Good luck.

If the problemis for extraction of wisdomteeth then just see an OMS that uses inhalation anesthesia then after you are out they can place the iv access.
Alternative: Oral sedation with midazolam and nitrous almost always works. But again you must find a dentist comfortable with this technique and there aren't manyof us.

If the problemis for extraction of wisdomteeth then just see an OMS that uses inhalation anesthesia then after you are out they can place the iv access.
Alternative: Oral sedation with midazolam and nitrous almost always works. But again you must find a dentist comfortable with this technique and there aren't manyof us.

I have yet to find someone who uses inhalation or midazolm. I am in the Detroit area. I am desperate to find one.

That would be surprising if not. I would call and ask if they offer it before the IV and if you can take pre-sedation.....Inhalation is nitrous oxide and midazolam is Versed in the US- usually this drug is given IV, except more commonly in liquid form to kids. I think the triazolam (Halcion) is more common in adult oral sedation but has close to the same effect (the benzodiazipene family. )

That would be surprising if not. I would call and ask if they offer it before the IV and if you can take pre-sedation.....Inhalation is nitrous oxide and midazolam is Versed in the US- usually this drug is given IV, except more commonly in liquid form to kids. I think the triazolam (Halcion) is more common in adult oral sedation but has close to the same effect (the benzodiazipene family. )

Is 8mg of Ativan good?

Whoa - that's a lot of Ativan in one dose. Have you taken it before? Do you know how a normal dose of 1-2mg effects you?

Whoa - that's a lot of Ativan in one dose. Have you taken it before? Do you know how a normal dose of 1-2mg effects you?

This is her third attempt - hence the high dose. See her other thread?

she had Valium not Ativan and it's a pretty big dose...........I've had Valium as the endo's drug of choice- didn't help much. Give me one to two halcion and I'm snoozing. It may be she needs a different agent but 4X the regular dose is huge without knowing what will happen when she takes it. .

she had Valium not Ativan and it's a pretty big dose...........I've had Valium as the endo's drug of choice- didn't help much. Give me one to two halcion and I'm snoozing. It may be she needs a different agent but 4X the regular dose is huge without knowing what will happen when she takes it. .

yes I guess 20mg of Valium was a lot. I have never taken ativan. I am praying 8mg works.

Back