• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared of receding gums!!

A

AB2008

Hello everybody,

I suffer badly with health anxiety and a fear of dentists in general and with COVID I’ve not been able to see my dentist in over a year. They’re still not seeing anybody unless it is an emergency and I’m honestly panicking and scared to death all of my teeth are going to fall out soon.

I usually have hygienist cleans up to 2 times a year and despite me brushing, mouth washing and flossing in between my teeth are still horrific! They’re yellow (which apparently is a hereditary according to my dentist) and I’ve notice over the past few days that it looks like they’re receding really badly!! I know I’ve brushed too hard in the past so this could have contributed to gradual receding but I’ve never noticed them looking this bad!

I’m in tears thinking they’re going to fall out in the next month or so and I don’t know what to do!!

can anybody ease My mind and advise if the bottom 2 front teeth look really really badly receded?

I’m going to ring my dentist again in the next week and push for them to see me but until then I don’t know how to ease my own mind!

thank you!!!

Attachments

• 0DF6A8C7-0813-43AF-8AC1-C1DFFCE552B2.jpeg
    0DF6A8C7-0813-43AF-8AC1-C1DFFCE552B2.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 85
I just want to say I think you will be fine. Every time I have to go to the dentist I totally freak out and think I will lose half my teeth for one reason or another and it’s always so much less frightening than that. I have one or two teeth where the gums are lower or receding similar to what your picture shows and have never even been recommended treatment at my exam / check up. Hope all goes well! (I also have a problem of brushing too hard no matter how conscious I try to be of it.)

Thank you for easing my mind slightly. I just wish I didn’t have such bad ugly teeth but no matter how much I keep up on my hygiene; they’re still absolutely awful!!!

There's no recession visible there, however you're not doing a great job with your brushing. Sorry.

It's a very tricky place to clean so don't take this personally.

Make sure you're using 2 hands when you clean down there, use your free hand to pull your bottom lip down out of the way, this way you can see what you're doing and allow your brush better access to the area. When you start doing this do NOT be surprised if the gums bleed a little bit. This is down to some mild gingivitis that's built up, give it a couple of days and it will stop and you'll notice a change in the appearance of the gums, it'll get more pink coloured and take on a sort of stippled appearance.
Your teeth are not going to fall out :)

Hi Gordon, thank you for being so honest. I did think my brushing was not the best and was looking to change my usual routine so your instructions have been very helpful. I’ve purchased a new toothbrush with pressure control and timer so I can have the optimum cleaning.

I am surprised that you say there is no recession there as I’m convinced there is haha but definitely happier and more content that you have eased my mind.

thank you so much :)

Good stuff! As I said, don't panic if you notice a little bit of bleeding from this area, it's to be expected.
Hope it hasn't been too expensive :)

I managed to get it from Lloyds pharmacy in the sale and it’s got good reviews online.
Out of interest - I’ve also purchased a tongue scraper after reading some reviews online, will this aid my dental journey?

Never been a big fan of them personally, but some dentists swear by them. If you like using them then go for it, won't do any harm.

My understanding is that bacteria on the tongue can cause bad breath, so brushing your tongue or using a tongue scraper helps with that. The bacteria that live on the tongue are not the same as the ones that are involved in gum disease or tooth decay though, so a tongue scraper is unlikely to have an effect on the health of your teeth/gums. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

You're right :)

Hi everyone this dental fear community has been helpful to me im so grateful there is a place for us to go.

I have a huge fear of dentists. It felt like PTSD but I need to get my mouth & gums healthy. Ive had several extractions within 2 procedures under anesthesia and did great. Healed quick, minimal swelling & pain, I expected the worst and was thankful it wasnt a horrible experience. Next step is root planning & scaling, 4 quadrants in one session while under anesthesia. Im terrified but need to get this done. One canine has bad receding gumline with serious plaque build up on the tooth and under the gum, not sure what my Perio will do for that. He will need to get under there. I am having anxiety daily. I wished my childhood experience with a dentist didnt lead me to all the dental that ive been dealing with.

Thanks for any support you send my way

Hi everyone this dental fear community has been helpful to me im so grateful there is a place for us to go.

I have a huge fear of dentists. It felt like PTSD but I need to get my mouth & gums healthy. Ive had several extractions within 2 procedures under anesthesia and did great. Healed quick, minimal swelling & pain, I expected the worst and was thankful it wasnt a horrible experience. Next step is root planning & scaling, 4 quadrants in one session while under anesthesia. Im terrified but need to get this done. One canine has bad receding gumline with serious plaque build up on the tooth and under the gum, not sure what my Perio will do for that. He will need to get under there. I am having anxiety daily. I wished my childhood experience with a dentist didnt lead me to all the dental that ive been dealing with.

Thanks for any support you send my way

Let me ease your fears: I just had four quadrant deep cleaning with only numbing gel. No big deal! And the results are incredible. You will be so happy you had this done. Really! I’m the biggest dental wimp there is and I would go through a deep cleaning again without hesitation. You can do it!

Thank you SO much for replying and easing my fears . How is the healing process? Im told this may help to strengthen my teeth and will probably need it done twice. One tooth seems to have the receding gumline with plaque buildup under it, not sure how they will treat that. Ugh I hate being so scared but
I got this ?thank you

Back