• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared of wisdom teeth removal -- any advice?

RoscoesMom

RoscoesMom

Hi, I'm new to the forums, though I've been reading here on and off for a while.

I just recently started going back to the dentist after an absence of many years, due to previous bad experiences (both as a child and as an adult). I hadn't even had my teeth cleaned in some time.

Anyway, today I got that done...it was no fun. The hygenist was good, used both sonic/water removal of plaque AND scraping. The scraping is what I've always hated the most! But I got through it, somehow.

However the dentist says I also need to have 2 of my upper wisdom teeth out (one on each side). He makes it sound like it's not a big deal, but I made the mistake of reading about it online and have scared myself silly about it now.

The 2 teeth are not impacted as far as I know, and are actually grown out above the gums, hence the reason they need to be taken out -- they've started to decay. :shame: One of the problems that I've read about is possible complications in someone who's older. I'm 47, soon to be 48. I fear that I'm just too old to get this done without problems!

And now I've got all these questions. Should I be getting both out at the SAME time? What about pain afterwards? Will I need stitches? Will I have to eat mushy soft food for days later? Since I'll have one extracted on either side, there won't be any way to chew anything easily, I'm thinking...

As you can see, I'm making myself worried sick over this!! I need advice on how to handle this, and how to make it through all this. HELP!!! :scared:

Dee

Hello! I had my wisdom teeth cut out - all 4 at once. I got put under by a dental surgeon. I was scared because I didn't think they could put me under. I started counting backwards to 10 and never made it past 9. It was fine. I had to go back because I thought something was wrong and it wasn't. So, they said let's take the stitches out while you're here and I was like no way - I haven't mental prepared myself. They took them out and I didn't even know they had done anything. I was scared for nothing. I hope this helps and that everything goes well for you. I'd find somebody who will put you under - that will probably help. God bless you - don't be scared!!!!

Firstly <(even a word?:p) :welcome: to the forum.

I would definately be scared out of my mind after reading all the horror stories around the internet and what people say, but thats not reality:cheers: All the stories I have heard on here have been of 100% painfree visits and most of them have been without complications

There are many types of sedation available like nitrous oxide (aka. Laughing gas) or even I/V sedation which you are 'asleep' for the procedure:) which I would highly reccomend from past expireances:cloud9:.

Also I would definately get them all out at the same time so you only have to go through with this once;)

Hi Dee,
I just had 2 of mine removed and it was quite easy with no pain during the procedure or after. Don't make the same mistake I made. I thought that one of my teeth was impacted and started reading all sorts of horrific things on the internet. BIG mistake. I had myself so freaked out it was ridiculous. I had nitrous which helped a great deal! If you follow the "rules" that they give you after extractions, you'll be fine. The two biggies are don't drink from a straw and don't smoke. You also don't want to rinse your mouth or brush your teeth for the first 24 hours. By the way, I'm 48 and thought the same thing...I'm too old for this! I was totally astounded that I had no pain, no swelling, no discomfort. Definitely get them both out at the same time, and chewing really won't be a problem as you can just use your front teeth for a few days. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how easy this will be especially since they aren't impacted (if you can see them, there not impacted). By the way, I'm a total dental phobic that hadn't seen a dentist in 25 years. If I got through it easily, you'll have NO trouble. Just quit reading the horror stories!!!! For every horror story, they're are thousands of easy surgeries :)
Peace,
Susan

Hi and welcome!!

Like everyone has already said-- everyone loves a good horror story, but they don't necessarily represent reality. I just had three wisdom teeth removed just over a month ago with no trouble at all. The key, of course, is to find a dentist that you trust and feel comfortable with-- and I'm glad yours is presenting this to you as "no big deal." If he does his job properly, it won't hurt at all. If he does a bad job, you're the customer and you're in control, so you're totally free to set him straight or go elsewhere!

Read through our past stories for lots of hints and tricks that will make you more comfortable, both physically and mentally, before, during, and after the procedure. And report back often on how you're doing, how everything is progressing, everything! It's always good to hear others' stories; it helps me a LOT as I work on my own stuff.

You'll do great!!!:grouphug:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!! This place is WONDERFUL.

One question -- is it necessary to get these teeth removed by an oral surgeon, or is it OK to have a "regular" (i.e. general/family) dentist do it?

Thanks again!

Dee

The Internet is a marvellous place without a doubt, but also because it is open to billions of us with no restriction, there are horror stories posted on every subject under the sun, though of course you have also informative sites which will help. If I were you, I'd stick to this site in future: sure you may get some good and bad reports, but nothing too scarey, and just honest, down to earth accounts of personal experiences. In the main though, facing one's fears, when you confront it head on it's never nearly as bad as you had thought in the beginning.

So well done on finding us here, and we wish you well on your dental journey.:grouphug:

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!! This place is WONDERFUL.

One question -- is it necessary to get these teeth removed by an oral surgeon, or is it OK to have a "regular" (i.e. general/family) dentist do it?

Thanks again!

Dee

Dee,
Generally speaking, if they're not impacted a dentist can do it. Mine won't do impacted teeth, and I'm sure any good dentist would recommend an oral surgeon if they didn't feel they could handle it.
Peace,
Susan

Susan's right....

For example, my dentist extracted three of mine with no problems. After he examined my husband, though, he referred him to an oral surgeon because of a few that he didn't feel comfortable doing himself.

Your dentist should let you know, with any extraction, if it's something that he can do there or if he'd feel better letting someone else handle it.

Welcome! I had 4 wisdom teeth out last week (see my success story!). My two uppers were not impacted, and they were not bad at all. I had little to no swelling, and the pain was significantly less than that on the botton (and pain meds took care of it all very easily). The extraction sites were also much quicker to heal on the top than on the bottom. If you're got to get it done, non-impacted uppers is the way to go :) - as if we ever get a choice!

If your dentist has any hesitation about doing the extraction his/herself, I'd say go to an oral surgeon. This is that they do best, and they are experts at doing it safely and quickly.

:cheers:

Thanks again for all the encouraging words and advice, everyone! I really appreciate it. Makes me feel better, too. :)

I'm probably not going to get it done until the end of this month. I've got to reschedule the date...didn't realize I'd scheduled it for Good Friday, just before Easter weekend! I have to call them on Monday to do that. I'll let you all know how it goes, and will come back here for reassurance beforehand if (when? LOL) I need it!

Dee

i've not had my wisdom teeth removed (and won't actually, even tho the dentist wants to - they are structurally fine, not impacted, and aren't in my way - they stay put :lol: )...

but I did have 2 other difficult extractions on regular molars, both bottoms. one got a stitch, the other did not.

The healing time, and mental reassurance on the stitched extraction was better for me than on the non-stitched one. If you can, I'd recommend getting a stitch or two.

on both, I only needed a prescrption pain pill at night to sleep - I overdid it during the day for the 5-10 days after extractions, which wasn't a good thing either... I used regular Advil/ibuprophen during the day, if needed

Back