• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared out of my mind/ don't know what to do.

R

Racheal1977

Hi everyone I am a 37 year old that just found out I will have to have all my teeth pulled. Went to the dentist last week for a toothache that I had put off for a while, They could not pull it because the infection was so bad, so gave me antibiotics & sent me on my way. I have to go back on March 6th, to get this tooth pulled it is the 3rd tooth on the upper right side, The fact of walking around with out a tooth right there has me nervous & embarrassed. This is a tooth a dentist broke at the front gum line about 10 years ago while placing my 2 front teeth crowns on. He wanted us to pay an additional 2500.00 to fix it & we did not have it at the time, so I just went with out. I have had nothing but bad experiences with dentist. I do not trust them & honestly they scare me to death.
When going to see this new dentist, I had told the receptionist that I am terrified of the dentist she assured me he would not hurt me, he did not hurt me but he also did not touch anything in my mouth just took x-rays. Anyway after the x-rays & having me open my mouth he told me pretty much that there is nothing they can do to save my any of my teeth, I do not smile, if I laugh I stop myself immediately so no one sees my teeth, There is no pictures with me smiling with my kids or hubby. I know this is not going to be a bad thing, but I am still not ok with it.

At 13 I was hit in the face with a wooden baseball bat by my brother & that cracked my front left tooth & broke my front right tooth in half. My mom took me to the dentist who wiggled the teeth and putting me in extreme pain, he pretty much told me that the teeth had to set in order to be able to do anything to them, fast forward 14 years later & I finally got porcelain crowns put on the front broken tooth & the one next to it on the right, the left one he put some type of filling on it. & broke the one I am getting pulled on the 6th.

As soon as I sat in the chair at this new dentist, I immediately started shaking & crying, my blood pressure shot through the roof, & I know I had to look like an idiot. When he told me that all my teeth needed to be removed I lost it, this scares the crap out of me, They also told me I would most likely go with out teeth up to 4 months. Depending on what I decide as far as dentures go. I have been looking at stuff on line & it just makes me break out in tears, I have always known I would have to get dentures but now actually having to do it is terrifying me. The thought of being in that chair for hours, scares me, the thought of him hurting me scares me, just the thought of walking into the office sends me into a panic attack.
Someone please tell me I am not nuts.

What are the best dentures to get ? I have no clue about any of this stuff they sent me home with a brochure & it has 3 options pretty much
Best : implant retained denture
Better traditional denture
Good : immediate denture

I would love to have mouth full of implants, & our insurance does cover 50% of them but with having 3 teenagers that is just not an affordable option for us.

Can someone please give me so ideas of how to handle this with out freaking out, & with out being so scared of the dentist.

Hi Racheal,
I can imagine your level of distress upon hearing this news. I am very sorry to hear about your previous bad experiences :there-there:. I would be horrified if a dentist damaged another tooth during a dental procedure and made no attempts to fix it without charging a fee let alone an outrageous amount :mad:. I think you have been very unfortunate when it comes to dentists in the past. It may be in your best interest to take some time to think things over. Just because dentures were recommended does not mean you need to do it immediately. This needs to be at your pace and in your own time. Removing all of your teeth is a big decision. It may be in your best interest to seek a 2nd and even 3rd opinion before doing anything. The problem tooth immediately in question can not be crowned? Despite your past experiences, there are some really amazing dentists out there that even the most phobic of patients have come to love; it just takes some searching and patience. I would take a browse through some of the journals and success stories. Many members of the forum have chronicled their stories with making the decision to remove all of their teeth and they are very honest about the ups and the downs of the experience. Best of luck to you. As isolated as you feel right now, remember that you are not alone. Feel free to continue to post here to vent or bounce ideas off others who have been in similar situations. Everyone here is very supportive, will not judge you, and your posts may inspire others who are in similar situations and feeling lost at the moment. :XXLhug:

The problem tooth immediately in question can not be crowned?

No it can't be, its black,brown & green, & only has the back part of it left with a hole in it. It is really quite gross & quite painful to eat, or even drink anything if it hits that tooth.

I do not plan on getting then pulled immediately, I can not even look at the pictures online or talk about it with out breaking into tears or having a panic attack.. I do plan on getting a second opinion I just have to work on getting myself to actually call to do so, As of right now I am not even 100% sure I will go get the tooth in question pulled. As of today it is no longer hurting, but my gums are still very swollen. I know I need to get it pulled. but just scared to have it done.

Racheal - an implant-retained denture is a much better option than a traditional denture. It would be best to get it done by a dentist with lots of experience with implants/oral surgeon.

Racheal - an implant-retained denture is a much better option than a traditional denture. It would be best to get it done by a dentist with lots of experience with implants/oral surgeon.

That is the one I am really looking into, Just not sure we can afford it, & not sure I am ready to deal with the pain for it, or to have someone in my mouth that long

That is the one I am really looking into, Just not sure we can afford it, & not sure I am ready to deal with the pain for it, or to have someone in my mouth that long

The only pain should be slight healing pain...no big deal.