• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to Death of Osseous/Flap Surgery & Bone Grafting :-(

K

KellyGrl73

I need to undergo osseous/flap surgery in all 4 quantrants. They are going to to top & bottom on 1 side, then a separate surgery for the other top/bottom.

I can barely handle novacaine, have never had a "cavity" - just facial fillings to cover nerves. I haven't been able to sleep, my stomach is in knots, & I feel like I have no idea how to get through this.

My wedding is on 8/28, thereafter I will have insurance that will cover all but $350 of the 1st surgery & then if I wait a few months, same for the 2nd surgery. Otherwise I will owe $1200 or more.

I have explained to them that I am extremely phobic regarding needles or any other medical procedure. In fact, I can barely visit someone else int he hospital, if you can believe. My fear is that when I get nervous/anxious I vomit, which I can hardly believe would be good with the surgery.

I've never had stitches for anything. I can't even clean a cut, I have to have someone else do it for me. The few times I've needed an IV I laid still for hours, not moving my arm, as I couldn't bring myself to. If I see blood, I either pass out, vomit, or pass out & then wake up & vomit. What am I going to do?

Has anyone had this surgery done? Bone grafting? I've read up on it & also know a few people who had the surgery (without the grafts) & they said they got really sensitive for 4-6 months, but it subsided. Various dental sites indicate that I will now be way more susceptible to needing root canals, getting cavities, etc. Now I've freaked myself out.

This is what I was told:

1) Surgery for 2 quadrants with bone grafting will take about 2 1/2 hours,
2) That he can give me a valium pill, but I will be awake for all of the procedure;
3) That they shoot about 3 shots of novacaine per tooth, more if you need it;
4) That there will be "mild swelling & discomfort" for a couple of days;, nothing ibuprophen can't handle;
5) That there may be "a little bleeding- not too much & not for very long;
6) That stitches are removed a week later;
7) That there is a 60% chance that the bone grafts will take & work, but it will take about 9mos or more to determine this.

So, I ask anyone who has had this procedure to be honest with me & let me know what to expect & to describe things as best as you can. I've never had anything done & really have no idea. Your insight is precious!

I've not had this type of procedure, but will be having implants possible bone graft/sinus lift. My question is why only Valium for such a long involved procedure? Is it because the periodontist doesn't offer IV sedation? Just me but I'd find one who does. No reason to "endure"

Also that seems like a pretty aggressive procedure for your entire mouth, have less invasive approaches failed?

I had a laser gingivectomy to reduce pockets with a scaling and root planing, I was pretty much out with oral sedative and nitrous so I don't remember it. Pockets depth is back to normal now, recovery was fine.

rp

I have had bone grafting done last March when I had 6 extractions done. For both the extractions and grafting combined I just had LA. They gave me a number of injections to keep the area numb. I have to admit that I had very little pain..lucky maybe. They gave me some pain meds which I mostly took for the first 2 days only because I was afraid if I didn't I would regret it.

I had just a small bit of swelling that subsided after the 4th day. Ice packs worked wonders. As for the whole procedure, the worst for me was getting the stitches removed. I had them for two weeks and the gums had begun to grow over and around the stitches. Having them removed was a bit painful but I survived.

As for success rate on bone grafts only, for the most part it went well. There is an area that it ended up not taking as well as it should have. Therefore later down the road when and if I get implants they will have to bone graft that one area again.

After realizing that I would never make it to the regular flap surgery - they gave me a referral for LANAP (laser) surgery. I am scheduled for July 26th, 2010 @ 9:45 am. No cutting, no stitching - supposedly no real pain, just discomfort.

Apparently for what I have (isolated deep pockets on top/bottom molar only areas) they think this will work, that I will NOT need a bone graft & that I should have much improvement.

Hopefully they are right. For my phobia they are prescribing Halcion - then just a few shots of novacaine & they are doing the whole mouth in one sitting, about 2 hrs beginning to end (seat to door). I hope this goes as well as they seem to think it will.

Let me know how it goes, Kelly!

I'm having the same thing done on Wednesday, only it won't be laser.

Best of Luck to you. Let me know how it goes- I'll be thinking of you.

:grouphug:

I would like to recommend you do a search for LANAP before you have traditional cut and sew surgery.

I've not had this type of procedure, but will be having implants possible bone graft/sinus lift. My question is why only Valium for such a long involved procedure? Is it because the periodontist doesn't offer IV sedation? Just me but I'd find one who does. No reason to "endure"

Also that seems like a pretty aggressive procedure for your entire mouth, have less invasive approaches failed?

I had a laser gingivectomy to reduce pockets with a scaling and root planing, I was pretty much out with oral sedative and nitrous so I don't remember it. Pockets depth is back to normal now, recovery was fine.

rp
Hi...what is a laser gingivectomy?
My dentist sent me to a perio to have one molar looked at for slight bone loss and deep pocket "6".
The perio probed that molar and got like a 3 or 4....he was not concerned and said he didn't think at this time anything should be done. but he looked at my eye tooth and wants to do a gum flap surgery...I am freaking out...I also heard this will cause more potential for cavities at the root, sensitive to temps, etc....Is this laser gingivectomy a better alternative? BTW...I do not need root planing and scaling..I have gone regularly (3 times a year) all of my life for cleanings. Thanks!

After realizing that I would never make it to the regular flap surgery - they gave me a referral for LANAP (laser) surgery. I am scheduled for July 26th, 2010 @ 9:45 am. No cutting, no stitching - supposedly no real pain, just discomfort.

Apparently for what I have (isolated deep pockets on top/bottom molar only areas) they think this will work, that I will NOT need a bone graft & that I should have much improvement.

Hopefully they are right. For my phobia they are prescribing Halcion - then just a few shots of novacaine & they are doing the whole mouth in one sitting, about 2 hrs beginning to end (seat to door). I hope this goes as well as they seem to think it will.

Hello, I am considering LANAP at the end of the month. Can you share your experience five years later? Would love to hear a personal account. thank you!

I'd find an oral surgeon who does IV sedation. To me that's kind of ridiculous that there would be a procedure that long and they wouldn't at least offer the sedation. I'm sorry though.

Back