Scared to go back to dentist after TMJ flare up

K

KMac

Two weeks ago I had a tooth prepped for a crown (my first). The next day my jaw locked up which had never happened to me before. I am finally able to open it a little. It’s still very sore and clicking more than usual. I am supposed to be getting the permanent crown later this week. I have no idea how that is going to get done given how sore my jaw is and the fact that I can’t open very wide. There is also a chance I may need a root canal done to that tooth. I am now terrified to go back to the dentist and am so stressed over the entire situation.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
KMac,

:welcome: Glad you are hear with us.. Sounds like a hard appt.. it is so keeping mouth open for so long duringsome of these appt and opening so much it can really get to you and trigger this. I totally get your hesitancy at wanting to go back and being stresses about it. There were times I was doing crown and implant work I didn't think it wouldever be possible to open my mouth this wide and it was very sore after..really its tiring..Can you have a good talk with your dentist before about taking breaks during the work and just being as gentle as possible. NOt that they aren't being but just a little extra. Let them know how it affected you and you are anxious about goingback for next appointment. I hope the soreness goes soon!

39male

39male

Two weeks ago I had a tooth prepped for a crown (my first). The next day my jaw locked up.

Hi KMac,

Hope this finds you well. I have at least 4 crowns. Initially my jaw was very sore the 1st round. As a regular, I highly recommend doing basic jaw exercises..yes like facial exercises a few times/days in advance. It will help prevent in the future. Also I use chapstick right before appt to avoid my lips from drying out, cracking and bleeding from experience.

They must have a permanent crown made. You can expect to have your temp crown pried off, cement on new crown, bite down, and adjustments to check your bite. Ask to delay the appt another week or two to allow some heal time for your jaw. Ive had a temp for twice as long due to the first one not fitting and being remade. 4 weeks total.

Hope this helps! No need for anxiety because the prep parts over!