• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to go

S

Scared29472

Hi,
I’m 20 years old and have had a history of very bad cavities despite my routine flossing and brushing (talking one or 2 cavities every year). I have not been to the dentist in about a year (6months overdue) and I am terrified of going back. I used to have to go every 6 months because my parents forced me but now that I live alone I just don’t answer any calls from the dental office. I don’t want the shame of sitting there and being told I need like 7 filling And 2 crowns. I know my fear might be uncalled for but I honestly would rather do anything than go back. Any advice?

Hi,

It sounds to me, given your young age, and most certainly given the fact that you clean your teeth well on a daily basis, that your dentist might consider a more conservative approach, meaning not treating every little thing they see in the mouth or on the X rays.

I am not saying your dentist is treating every little thing, I am not familiar with your dental health, but I do know that too many dentists treat according to the dental insurance and not according to the dental needs.

I suggest you see the dentist and ask them to show you whatever cavity they find. A real cavity should be recognizable also to an untrained person.

If you want to be on the safer side, you can also place your x rays on this forum and the dentists can tell you what they see.

Hi there,

what you are going through is so typical - many people have a history of going regularly as long as they have been forced to go from their parents and then, with the first possibility to make own decisions, they stop going. And the longer you stay away from dental care, the more difficult it is to get back, particularly if you had bad experiences. It‘s great you are trying to tackle it now.

What do you think may be most helpful? Maybe starting anew and find a practice you haven‘t been to before and let them know about your fears beforehand?

If it helps, the fact that your dentist always „found something“ doesn‘t mean that it will stay that way. I had always a cavity when I went in my teen years, but the trend suddenly stopped in my twenties. It‘s frustrating to take a good care and having cavities every time you go. It must feel like you have no control over your dental health. What some people do not know is, that nutrition plays even a bigger role than home care. You can read about it here.

All the best wishes

Perhaps you just need to make your own choice and go to a different dentist to the one you grew up with ? It would be a step towards finding out whether your current dentist is inclined to over-treat or not. What you don't want is to get stuck in a mindset of "I'm an adult now, I'm not going to do that any more.". I did that, albeit with doctors rather than the dentist - BAD mistake, I'm still paying for it 50 years later !!

Wanted to thank all of you guys for your replies. It helped me muster up the courage to overcome all the terrible imaginative situations that I was predicting and instead just make an appt to see reality. It did take me a while but I went into my exam today, after 3 years of avoiding it. I was terrified but talked to the hygienist a little about my fears and she was very open with me about what she was seeing. No gum disease, turned out to have one cavity which will be filled, and one filling that chipped that needs to be repaired. This was better than even the best case scenario I had imagined ( I was thinking like 12 cavities and 4 root canals) So thanks to everyone for helping me be brave enough

Nice!

Well done.

Back