• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared to smile

L

Liwee

Hi, i'm a 23 year old who has not taken proper care of my teeth over the years, I haven't seen a since my early teens. And it shows, I have visible cavities and hole on my two canine teeth. A cavity in between my two front teeth and a big open cavity on the back of one of my upper front teeth, and a few smaller cavities. I hate talking to people because of this. Growing up i had a lot of mental health issues and lack of actual care for my teeth I feel so embarrassed that I didn't take proper care of my teeth and let them get this bad. I have so much anxiety even thinking about going to the dentist now that i've neglected my mouth this badly. I really really want to go before my issues become worse. The constant fear that my teeth will just fall out randomly while i eat or brush or do anything is getting so stressful, I hate always thinking about my teeth and being so conscious of them.

I've been trying to look around and find ways that can help my financially get the help i need. I don't make a lot of money And i don't have dental insurance. I don't know what to go with for dental insurance, but if it can help me i can try to get it. I'm also trying to find a good dentist who can help me with my fears. I just am so tired of feeling so anxious all the time i just want to smile and talk like i used to.

Hi Liwee,

sorry to read about your situation, it sounds like you have gone through some hard times in the past. At the same time it sounds like you are on your way to make things better and sort your dental issues, which is a great start.
I understand that you feel embarassed and that this is what makes seeing a dentist harder, but you are not alone. The most people who struggle with mental issues have a hard time taking care of their teeth and this is not your fault at all. Give yourself credit for having made the decision to change things.
The best start would be to find a dental practice that you feel you might feel comfortable with. You could contact them via email and find out if they can help you. Financially the best thing might be to try to handle an exam (after you had found a kind caring dentist) so that you gain clarity about what needs to get done and in which priority and for what costs. From there you could plan how to deal with it financially.

All the best wishes, keep us posted and again well done on making the first step

I hadn’t been to the dentist in years. To say I was afraid is an understatement. I was terrified. I had 2 molars missing, a bunch of cracked teeth and the front bottoms were shifting and loose. It costumed me every day and I knew that when I talked to people it was fully noticeable. Thank god I finally got up the nerve in January to go. It has been a long and expensive process but worth it. They were very good about putting me on a payment plan. But most of all my dentist and his staff were all so compassionate. I didn’t feel judged and he ways took his time and explained everything. I had my entire bottom teeth out on Monday and immediate dentures put in. I didn’t feel a single thing and all I had was sweet air. Recovery has been amazing. I was in no pain at all, was talking fine and starting to eat. But most of all I’m now not afraid to talk. I know it’s scary but you can do this!

Thank you both so much! I never considered to email a dentist before trying to call around ect, that helps a lot with my social anxiety. I'm actively looking around currently. Thinking about the costs have given me even more anxiety but i need to just take the first step. I'll keep this updated, hoping to find someone and call within this weekend.:)

Back