• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared

A

Amyx

Hiya
I just need to vent somewhere...after 2 cancelled appointments, I've got my dentist appointment soon ish.
Basically I've not been to the dentist for 19 years! I know I know and now I'm just purely ashamed! My teeth are so bad and I will have to have extensive work done. I'm so scared.

@Amyx Good for you! Don't be ashamed, be proud you are being brave and going in, and getting this dealt with. My longest stretch of not going to a dentist was 19 years too, so I know just how hard it is after so long. I know it is scary thinking of getting work done, but one way to look at it, is by taking care of this now, you are giving yourself the best chance of preventing the need for more even more work to be done, you can get things taken care of before they get worse.

@Amyx I get it. It scares me so much, too, but the anticipation has always turned out to be worse than the reality. I'm one of the most terrified people when it comes to the dentist. I have avoided for years and have lost eight adult teeth (in addition to my wisdom teeth). I'm 52 years old and I will need a partial denture now. I'm trying to push through this year and get everything done that needs doing. I just had two deep fillings five days ago, so I know the dread and the fear. I got them done and I'm still here. I've also canceled appointments so many times over the years. I never take Monday appointments so that I have a chance to cancel with 24 hours notice because there is usually a big chance that I will cancel. I can completely empathize with you. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

Same for me and my appointment is this afternoon. I am so nervous. I hope that all goes well for you!

@mmeyers9871 good luck 🤞🏻I hope it goes okay. You are sooo brave! You've got this!

Well, it's my appointment in 3 days and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get through it if I'm honest. I got sent the online forms to fill in today and it sent me into panic mode.
I am actually terrified! I can't speak to my partner about it, I'm faking going into the works office that day so I don't have to tell him. I can't speak about it and feel dizzy when I think about it. I had told myself all along it's just another parts of life's journey and the sooner I start the sooner its done, but that is now failling too and I'm back to square one!!

Back