• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared

S

sam771

Hello last week I went to the dentist and I was shocked to be told I had severe gum disease because I thought my teeth were okay

Anyways the dentist started saying it's the worse case he's seen for my age(29)
And I wil loose all my teeth in 10-20 years I asked if ther was anything I can do and he replied no and turned away I am now worried sick

I suffer from depression anxiety and I have mild autism I carnt settle ever since he told me I have been brushing flossing none stop as I carnt see a hygienist till January,I feel disgusting I have been sick from anxiety I have even considered splitting up my with partner please help

@sam771 gum disease can be controlled with good oral hygiene i.e flossing, brushing daily and regular cleanings to keep the gum disease from advancing. Your dentist doesn't have a magic ball to see into the future so he doesn't factually know that you will lose your teeth in 10-20 years. Also their is things you can do so I'm not sure why he has said that, maybe finding a new dentist would also be better.

Thank you I just thought I was doing ok with my teeth then he said that I got distressed it's awfull because now I think I'm going to loose all my teeth and I carnt get seen till January I have a appointment tomorrow because when I was flossing after a bit of my tooth cracked of but I'm unsure I'd that's a temp filling from prior I have to see the same guy tommorow so I'm worried and anxious I have had to up my dose of anti depressants from doctor because of this thank you for the reply he just basically said you have severe gum disease that's it carnt help and I was just stood like omg I used to like the dentist but now I'm worried sick