• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scary procedures!

G

Former Member
:hidesbehindsofa:

Hi, My name is Natalie and i'm from the UK.

Over here it is somwhat difficult to find a sympathetic dentist without having to travel miles on end.

I have a particular tooth on my lower left jaw that has been broken to below the gumline for approx 3 years now. It feels like its dipping further in the middle and my gums are trying to mould round it. ITs very ...erm mushy?! in the middle???

I have had abcess upon abcess with this tooth and regularly have to take pain killers.

I was just wondering what the proceedure would be to extract whats left, would i have to go to a dentist or would i have to go into hospital?? and what would the rpoceedure entail?

I also have a tooth on the upper left jaw that has broken off (approx 1/4) and that is very sensitive to hot/cold temp and feels a bit squishy where the whole is. What would i need done here?

I would be so greatful for any advice available. :party:

Hi Natalie -

"I was just wondering what the proceedure would be to extract whats left, would i have to go to a dentist or would i have to go into hospital?? and what would the rpoceedure entail?"

The "mushy" stuff is the pulp that's gone mushy. It's often EASIER to extract teeth which are badly broken down and have chronic disease, because they're not held in very firmly. Most likely, the procedure would entail freezing nerves which innervate the tooth in question and then removing it. Usually, this is a pretty quick and painless procedure, and if you find it helpful not to see any instruments being used, you can always close your eyes.

"I also have a tooth on the upper left jaw that has broken off (approx 1/4) and that is very sensitive to hot/cold temp and feels a bit squishy where the whole is. What would i need done here?"

The sensitivity to hot would suggest that the "nerve" (the pulp tissue) is affected, rather than just the dentine (the layer below the enamel). Oftentimes it's be possible to save such a tooth with a root treatment, but it would be impossible for our dentists to say over the internet and without seeing x-rays.

Hope this helps :)

Back